Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
which ones work and which do not? i am looking at buying a nikon coolpix or a fuji....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

digital cameras

which ones work and which do not? i am looking at buying a nikon coolpix or a fuji.

Linux Guru
    Just why would you ask this on a linux forum?

Just Joined!
    i am planning on spending money on a digital camera, and i do not wish to get home after spending 200-500 dollars on a camera and have it not work with the copy of linux i am going to install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Just why would you ask this on a linux forum?
    i just realized how vague my question was. sorry.

Linux Guru
    Oh! I get it. You just wanted to know if it would work on linux. Sorry, then.
    If it uses USB transfer which is compatible with the standard USB Mass Storage driver there shouldn't be a problem, except possibly for setting it up.
    There is also the gphoto2 project http://www.gphoto.org/. Their list of knows supported cameras can be found at http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/proj/l...o2/support.php

Just Joined!
    thanks

Linux User
    or get the camera's that use the floppy (new ones have CD's i guess)
    and you can get really lazy like me and write a shell script to mount the floppy, rename the pics based on date, move them over, umount the floppy blah blah... one touch access

./getPics
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux User
    If you are using a recent Distro then all you may have to do is edit /etc/fstab. This will alow you mount your camera and to transfer your images.

Another way is to get a usb card reader these plug into your usb plug. This saves you pluging in your camera.

Most usb cameras will work with linux without additional software.

Linux Guru
    I'd recommend against those that use floppies, since they tend to be rather bulky. Also, a floppy's just 1.44 MB, while a normal size memory card is at least 16 MBs. Concerning those with CDs, they are also rather big, and although a CD can hold a lot of pictures, of course, it's still not erasable (unless it handles CD-RW, of course... I don't know about that).
    I would, however, recommend one of those which you plug into your computer directly using USB. They're less clumsy.

Just Joined!
    i was planning on buying a usb camera with the memory stick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast