Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know if I can get and older version of ndiswrapper to work on kernel 2.6.14 because I am trying to configure my wireless USB network adapter on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper?

Does anyone know if I can get and older version of ndiswrapper to work on kernel 2.6.14 because I am trying to configure my wireless USB network adapter on a freespire distro and it says I need atleast 2.6.6 to install the current version and I even tried to install it with no luck. Thanks.

What it's saying is for your kernel to at least me 2.6.6 (or later) so the newest version should work. In fact, it should work much better for you than an older version. I know in some cases, older versions work better with certain devices. If that is the case with you, find earlier versions of ndiswrapper here....
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much. I guess I was having a brain fart. I am trying my best to get my Linux box connected to the internet through the wireless connection here. I've been trying on and off for the past couple of years to do this. I am limited to Windows computers for going online because I cannot run a wire up to this floor. When following the installation instructions I get up to the point of having the files extracted and when I do the install command I get a bunch of errors. So I guess I'll try older versions. Possibly it could be the fact that it is Linspire. Oh well, I'll give it a try.

Likely what you are running into is compile errors associated with NOT having the kernel sources or compilers installed. If you can post those errors here I'm sure we can get you going in the right direction.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Likely what you are running into is compile errors associated with NOT having the kernel sources or compilers installed. If you can post those errors here I'm sure we can get you going in the right direction.
    I installed Mandriva Free and came up with the same errors. I will go upstairs and look at the errors but I think you hit the nail on the head with the ..."compile errors associated with NOT having the kernel sources or compilers installed."

Just Joined!
    I found this on ndiswrappers sourceforge:

Card: Linksys WUSB54GSC, 802.11b/g, USB 2.0

Chipset: Broadcom
    USBID: Vendor=13b1 ProdID=0026 (13b1:0026)
    Driver: Downloaded driver http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper here and install. Copied the win files (usb8023.sys and rndismp.sys) from the F5D7051.exe F5D7051 Drivers download to the /etc/ndiswrapper/wusb54gsc/ folder. Lastly, use the script detailed HOWTO: WUSB54GS v1 (only?) on (X)(K?)Ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums here , modidifed with the correct USB ProdID (0026), to get the power working. It’s in the section ‘Getting WUSB54GS to Work in Edgy and Feisty’ Also check out the thread Is WUSB54GS (SpeedBooster) linux-friendly? - Page 3 - LinuxQuestions.org here for why the script is needed and works.
    Other: With 2.6.16 and later kernels, RNDIS devices are not initialized (when device is plugged in, nothing happens). To get it going, you need to set the variable bConfigurationValue in sysfs. An easy way to do this is to add this: BUS==”usb”, SYSFS{idProduct}==”0026”, SYSFS{idVendor}==”13b1”, PROGRAM=”/bin/sh -c ‘echo 1 > /sys/%p/device/bConfigurationValue’” to /etc/udev/rules.d/<ruleFilename> file and restart udev. For FC6 <ruleFilename> is 50-udev.rules.
    So I guess my driver works, but I believe when I installed Mandriva it had Ndiswrapper and when I tried to use it I got errors so I tried installing a different version and I got the errors you mentioned above.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    [root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.47]# make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.47/driver'
    Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen/build;
      give the path to kernel build directory with
      KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.47/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    There is my error.

I think you need to install the kernel sources, at least kernel-devel and kernel-headers for your specific kernel.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.