Find the answer to your Linux question:
One of my users sent in a help desk ticket yesterday saying that he gets the following error trying to launch Open Office on his dekstop. OpenOffice.org cannot be started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Open Office error

One of my users sent in a help desk ticket yesterday saying that he gets the following error trying to launch Open Office on his dekstop.

OpenOffice.org cannot be started due to an error in accessing the OpenOffice.org configuration data.
    Please contact you system administrator.

The following internal error has occurred: Get Storage, name: "No Content!"
    I was able to launch Open Office successfully on his machine under my account, so it appears to be account-specific. All of the instructions I've found point to removing ~/.openoffice/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu, however he does not have a .openoffice directory (or any variation thereof) in his home directory. I have removed and reinstalled Open Office to no effect. Any suggestions?

For reference:
    # uname -a
    Linux wened.eas.purdue.edu 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 16 17:13:42 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    # rpm -qa openoffice.org
    openoffice.org-1.1.5-10.6.0.2.EL4

Very weird that he's using openoffice, yet there is no .openoffice directory in is home directory. Is it possible he's running openoffice as root? Maybe check and see if the mystery directory is there. If not, I'd think it must be somewhere... Perhaps:
    Code:
    locate .openoffice
    ...will reveal where it is.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Dan,

Thanks for the reply. No, it is not possible that he is running OOo as root. `locate .openoffice` turned up nothing, so I did a `find / -name ".openoffice"`. Apart from getting a lot of permission errors from homedirs (our homedirs are NFS with root_squash), nothing came up. For what it's worth, I moved my .openoffice to .openoffice-old and ran OOo under my account. It still ran successfully, but did not create a new ~/.openoffice.

Thanks,
    BC

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's just too weird... I'm going to install OO on my FC7 box and see if I get the same result...

Just installed it on FC7 via yum, opened it and it created .openoffice.org2.0 in my home directory. Hmmmm. Not sure... I'll think on it some more.