Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has any information/thoughts relating to the following: I want to replace Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with a Linux alternative - the issue I now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Linux Exchange Server Alternative

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any information/thoughts relating to the following:

I want to replace Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with a Linux alternative - the issue I now have with Exchange is it's limitations in creating multiple domains.

I need to have the ability to create multiple domains/sub domains; the version I have is for small business users and I'm limited to one - the next version up takes me into the 4k bracket and here I'm limited to 5!!

So, I have been doing some digging and I have found the following providers of middleware which will allow for seamless integration of Outlook sharing via IMAP:

Zarafa Outlook sharing on Linux - Home
    www.bynari.net - Insight Connector for calendar sharing
    PostPath: New Home Page

On initial investigation there is no mention of these products and if they have constraints on domain creation? Does anybody know of such a product which will allow for unlimited or at the very least 50 domain creations, compatible with Outlook and will run off Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Many thanks,
    Oliver

WikiPedia
    Is quite usefull..
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Indeed; however I have reviewed that when I first began investigations...

Anyhow, it would appear that Bynari do offer the ability to create multiple domains; however, the question will be how many???

Thanks anyhow,
    Oliver

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi,

I have dropped an email to Bynari; therefore I will post their response here, just in case anybody else want to know.

Oliver

Just Joined!
    Have you looked into a hosted solution? Depending on your specific needs it may be an inexpensive altenative.

Hi,

Yes, I initially did; however, I wanted to have total control as opposed to the domains being run on an external server; anyhow I have spoken with the guys at Bynari and they have reputably informed me that there is no limitation when it comes to creating domains - the only limitations one may have is hardware - so great news and I have successfully installed Insight Server on my RH Enterprise Linux platform and now have Outlook running my multiple accounts, less the cost of Microsoft and their licence fee's

Oliver

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver79 View Post
    Hi all,
    I need to have the ability to create multiple domains/sub domains; the version I have is for small business users and I'm limited to one - the next version up takes me into the 4k bracket and here I'm limited to 5!!
    That's Active Directory domains. You can have as many email domains as you want. I wouldn't want to create a new AD domain for every email domain... that would be an administrative nightmare. I'm not sure what exactly you're doing, but if you're trying to run a large operation on SBS you're better off moving to Linux.

Just Joined!
    Hi Oliver,

On initial investigation there is no mention of these products and if they have constraints on domain creation? Does anybody know of such a product which will allow for unlimited or at the very least 50 domain creations, compatible with Outlook and will run off Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
    I know the guys from Zarafa are working on a hosted solution, which should be ready in the beginning of 2008. I'm not sure if this supports unlimited domains.

Zarafa has packages for both RHEL4 and 5.

For a complete replacing an Exchange server, i would recommended this product. This products is completely MAPI based, like a M$ Exchange server and has therefore the best Outlook integration.

Via the opensource project Z-Push you even have push mail and native Activesysnc synchronisation with Zarafa.

What i personally like the most is the Zarafa AJAX based webaccess.

Paul