Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know any software that can read scanned paper forms (questionnaires) and decipher the information in them. I have about 110,000 forms that I need to extract data from. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Forms recognition software

Does anybody know any software that can read scanned paper forms (questionnaires) and decipher the information in them. I have about 110,000 forms that I need to extract data from. These forms are scanned as TIFF-files. The forms have alignment-marks that help orientation. I must be able to define names for the different fields on the form and then let the software decipher their content. Most of these fields are simple ticked/not ticked fields, but some of them are handwritten numbers. I would (of course) prefer free software, but low cost commercial SW is also of interest. This is a part of a non-commercial research project. And for those of you who wander, the forms are already scanned and read by a commercial Windows system. But the quality is low and I would like to try this with Linux software.

Knut

oz
    forum.guy
    I can't answer the question directly, but here are a couple of sites you can check that might have something for you:

Windows and OS X Software Alternatives | Linux App Finder

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux. (Official site of the table)
    oz

Linux Newbie
    It sounds like you need to use an OCR software package to create text files from the scans and then run those text files through a script to look for the data that you want. I'd suggest trying a few pages through one of the OCR programs to see if the data you want is being recognized correctly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close