Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help installing Xine. I downloaded all the nessacary(sp?) fiiles but when I do ./configure of gxine, it says that I need a newer version of xine-lib, I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exhausted all my resources.

I need help installing Xine. I downloaded all the nessacary(sp?) fiiles but when I do ./configure of gxine, it says that I need a newer version of xine-lib, I have the newest one and installed it and configured it without any problems.

I think that I am just missing something. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. If you need more information let me know. Thanks.

Sorry to be such a n00b. =)

Linux Enthusiast
    what distro are you using?

if you are using red hat , then check out my guide in my signature for instructions on how to install Mplayer - it is much better than Xine.

If you are using a different distro then your kernel might not have all of the dependencies and you might have to rebuilt which would be a pain in the ass.

Just Joined!
    OK, I finally got Xine installed. I wanted it for the sole purpose of watching DVD's without switching over to Windows.

I have all the files and codecs that it could possible need installed, but when I try to play a dvd, it says that I am missing a "demux plugin", but I can't find this plugin anywhere. I then noticed something, for some reason, RH8 isn't noticing that I have a DVDROM and a CDRW, it is only recognizing one CDROM. BUT -- I am gonna have everyone confused -- the one CDROM that it recognizes IS my DVDROM and it's not seeing my CDRW at all. When I went into the /ect/fstab file, it had, of course, my HDD, it had my floppy and /mnt/cdrom and that's it. So my guess is that I have something configured wrong since RH is thinking that my DVDROM is actually only a CDROM.

Can anyone help out on this one?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Mplayer can play dvd's too and it should actually work. You might need to make sure that you have dma enabled though or it might be choppy.

As for your configuration, there is something messed up there obviously. I am not sure why it would not have detected those devices properly.

You can check out this site on hardware compatibility with red hat:

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

Just Joined!

Hi Guy79

Are you the same guy from tech-heaven.If you are hows it going is linux driving you crazy yet.I just switched from mandrake to suse 8.2.Like it much better.Anyway just checking if you were the same Guy.Later Pat S.