Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last week evolution (2.12.0.1 running under openSuse 10.0), crashed. And now it just won't restart. I've killed it with --force-shutdown, I've killed all the oaf processes, I've run killev, I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Evolution crashed - won't restart

Last week evolution (2.12.0.1 running under openSuse 10.0), crashed. And now it just won't restart. I've killed it with --force-shutdown, I've killed all the oaf processes, I've run killev, I've even rebooted the machine. All my attempts to start evolution now get an evolution window up, but the moment it's appeared on the screen I get an error box saying:

"The Application "evolution" has quit unexpectedly.

You can inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it. Or you can restart the application right now."

Starting evolution from a shell produces:

"adding hook target 'source'

(evolution:16584): camel-WARNING **: camel_exception_get_id called with NULL parameter.

(evolution:16584): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed"

What is going on? And how do I fix it? I'd like to have evolution back!

Thanks,
    -A.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never run Evolution so don't know much about it, but can you rename the Evolution folder in your /home/username directory, then log out, then back in to let the folder rebuild itself? You will lose any settings, but it might work to clear up the problem.

If it doesn't work, you can delete the new folder and then reinstate the old one.

Be careful of loosing any saved email, too.

Hope it helps.
    oz