Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I run games that use DX8 in Wine? I'd like to accomplish this, Thanks, Finsta...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine with DirectX

How can I run games that use DX8 in Wine? I'd like to accomplish this,
    Thanks,
    Finsta

Linux Guru
    Try WineX.

Just Joined!
    Is there another way to use DX apps without WineX, I don't want to subscribe to TransGaming?

Linux Guru
    You don't have to subscribe to TransGaming. WineX is free software; the only thing that costs is the "full package". What differs that from WineX is that the full package includes some copyright protection APIs that are required for some games and that cannot be released freely due to licensing issues. The full package also includes support. If you follow the link I posted, you'll be able to download the WineX source code and compile it. It includes all the DirectX support that is in the full package.

Just Joined!
    hum....but that's the prob...I guess I could subscribe to TransGaming

Linux Guru
    Hmmm? What's the problem? Why don't you just download it and install it without subscribing?

Just Joined!

Umm...

You know, I am thinking about switching OS, and this was precisely one of my main concerns. Gaming. Open gL is far better than DirectX, but DX is more widely used...
    And I hateWindows! Too damn buggy. I was going to make the swittch when this popped up... what about all of my games?

I read about a project, MacDX, which translates the API code and allws to use the DirectX games on... Macintosh. But knowing that Mac OS X is baed on BSD (an Unix variant), my hope to play my games on Linux raise again.

Would it be possible to see something like this on Linux? And make it native, not an add on?

I'm currently learning programming and I would love to see compatibility, because believe me, one of M$ strongest points are in the gaming capability it has because of their game programming code.

Just wishing...

Linux Guru
    WineX does basically the same. I don't know how much you know about programming yet, but Wine is basically a collection of shared libraries, each emulating a subset of Win32 API calls. The wine loader basically just maps the Windows executable and links it against Wine's libraries instead of Windows' DLLs.

For some reason, Wine has hardly ever worked at all with anything but the simplest programs on my system, but on the other hand I haven't cared to investigate it much, and I'm hearing many very good reports from other people all over the net.

Be aware, however, that, because all calls have to mapped from DX to OpenGL, most games only run at framerates about half of what they do in native Windows.

Games like Q3 and UT2003 that are supported natively in Linux, however, ofter run faster than in Windows, providing you're using the right drivers.