Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm fairly new at this thing so please bear with me. I have just reinstalled Firefox on my FC6 machine (from Fedora's repo) and now when I open Firefox, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

malware?

I'm fairly new at this thing so please bear with me. I have just reinstalled Firefox on my FC6 machine (from Fedora's repo) and now when I open Firefox, I get some loser's web page in San Fransisco instead of my home page (fedoraproject.org) I have googled and searched this site for how to fix this, to no avail. Help anyone.

PS Stuff like this REALLY irks me. It is one of the reasons i hate Windows so much...

Execute this
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.mozilla
    It will remove all Bookmarks too. Copy bookmarks.html file from .mozilla folder before delete it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks devils_casper. I am trying that now. Will let you know how it turns out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

uh oh...

Weell... I executed this

$rm -r /home/whoever/.mozilla.
    I had emptied the cache fro myself last night to no avail. This emptied my wife's cache.
    I then restarted firefox and the same damn page came up. I then erased firefox with this...
    $ yum erase firefox
    this uninstalled firefox, but left the firefox folder and its contents in /usr/lib. So I got smart and did this...
    rm -rfu /usr/lib/firefox and Presto!! Fireofx is gone. Then I attempted to reinstall using yum, but this is what I got.
    [Chris@localhost ~]$ su -c 'yum install firefox'
    Password:
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Parsing package install arguments
    Nothing to do
    Did I really screw the pooch on this or what? Please help a stupid, stupid man.

Just make sure it's gone fromthe rpm database.
    Code:
    rpm -e firefox
    (as root, or using su -c as required.

Just Joined!

Like a bad rash...

Ok-the saga continues. I have now completely wiped out Firefox twice, removed it from the rpm database on my box once and reinstalled Firefox 3 times. I have cleared every cache and temp file- I know of-granted I am still a noob. I still get directed to the following website upon opening Firefox.. craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events The IP is 66.150.253.241

To get to my home page, I have to click my "home" button.
    I have no idea where this f-ing page has come from or how the hell it showed up on my box. I just want the damn thing gone. Anybody got any Ideas? I know that 99 percent of the members here know way more than me about this stuff so I am throwing myself at your mercy. Help!?

oz
    forum.guy
    This is weird, for sure...

Are you using the same Firefox package each time you reinstall? If so, I'm wondering if the package could have been tampered with?

You might try entering about:config in the location bar and look through the entries there for clues.

If I should think of anything else, I'll post back.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanx for your time ozar and bigtomrodney. i really appreciated your help. i will post the results of *about_:config* in the morning. It's been a long day and I'm hitting the sack. cSquared

Just Joined!
    I can't seem to find a way to post my about config results. However, I have read the entire config three times and everything seems to be in order. My homepage is set to fedoraproject.org and the homepage_overide value is as it should be as far as I can tell. I will probabley have to resort to running Konqueror (heaven forbid) until i figure this out. Ciao