Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
They are both very good DEs. Xfce is just lighter weight, and it mostly uses GTK stuff, which is more like Gnome. I'd probably recommend KDE or Gnome for most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

They are both very good DEs. Xfce is just lighter weight, and it mostly uses GTK stuff, which is more like Gnome. I'd probably recommend KDE or Gnome for most new users, then play with Xfce later, although plenty of people have started off just fine with Xfce.

Just experiment and have fun with Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I've gotten to briefly use both Gnome and KDE on a couple of "live" distros I tried some time ago, and really liked them both. I was thinking on Xfce because it is lighter weight.

So I see that gtk is associated with Gnome, that's good to know. I've used some open source software, and even some with gtk on Windows believe it or not. I like the GIMP, OpenOffice, Scribus, and Inkscape, VLC, and Mplayer, and have been using them all on Windows for some time now.

I much prefer open source and "free" software for it's honesty, integrity, functionality, and leanness. I really can't stand bloatware of any kind.

Coming from windows, KDE seemed most familiar to me, but once I spent a little time with Gnome I liked it just as well, but it's been awhile, so I'll have to try them out again.

I don't even have a working optical drive right now, so I can't even try anything at this time, and the rest of my system is headed for failure, but thankfully I should be buying a new notebook very soon, and then I can really get going with Linux finally.

I have some experience with DOS, I'm very proficient in windows, and have a little high level programming language experience, so I don't think I'll have to much trouble learning Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    recommend KDE or Gnome for most new users,
    Id recomend neither do new users since they are both Quite Big.
    I always want them to see how small a Linux system is and that it "just works".

Then I give them the chance to go to KDE or GNOME later :P
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    Id recomend neither do new users since they are both Quite Big.
    I always want them to see how small a Linux system is and that it "just works".

Then I give them the chance to go to KDE or GNOME later :P
    That was my thinking with Xfce, but since I really need to get up and running, and fully productive ASAP, I think I'll most likely start out with KDE, and all of the great apps for it that I'm hearing about that will serve my needs best.

I want to just get up and going and away from M$ as quickly as possible, and then dig in deep and get into the underpinnings, and tap the true power that I see in Linux that lurks underneath the hood so to speak. I'm really leaning towards Frugalware right now, because it seems to have both aspects in equal amounts, ease of use for the newbie, and full accessibility for the power user, and I'm really impressed with the vision and goals of it's developers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2