Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I installed RH 8.0, I remember doing a custom and basically installing every which way package I could make any reasonable guess at it's usage. And namely, I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Do I have GCC? Do I have any applications

When I installed RH 8.0, I remember doing a custom and basically installing every which way package I could make any reasonable guess at it's usage. And namely, I am pretty positive I installed GCC, but now i can't find it...luckily RH 8.0, installs nearly nothing (or atleast mine didn't) in the path to run any apps. So now I am lost. I am a real newbie and have no idea where the GCC file is so I can't compile anything.

Can somebody help me out as to where the GCC file is, and also hopefully, where all those other apps are too. If they are all in the same place that is.

Also can somebody tell me if there is a way to see how much HD space I have available and how it is split up?

Linux User
    1. just type gcc -v. That will show you if GCC is installed. otherwise its not more than just installing it from the cdroms or downloading it from Http://gcc.gnu.org

2. Type df -h. That should show you hdd space.

Linux Enthusiast
    if gcc -v doesn't work then try gcc -version

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    But wouldn't gcc -v (or -version) work only if the path was set correctly. Even when I downloaded and installed the JDK, I had to change the .bashrc before i could do a java or javac. Is it possible that i have gcc somewhere, but because the path isn't specified just doing a gcc won't show up?

Linux Enthusiast
    mine is in my /usr/bin

you could also try using the kde menu and use 'find files' and just type in gcc and see what comes up

some red hat 8 installs are kinda wonky so it might not be there or it might have been screwed up somehow

Just Joined!
    Thanks everybody, I don't know what happened (and I'm sure these type of spontaneous solutions will happen again). But I typed in gcc -v and it worked, so apparently it is in there somewhere. I'll look in /usr/bin and see if I can find it. There was a bunch of information given to me when I did the gcc -v, but I'll see if I can figure out what I need to know by muself. Thanks.

is /usr/bin where most of the apps are?

Linux Guru
    To find out the significance of different directories, check out this old post.

Just Joined!
    Thanks that was very helpful, except for all that folder, directory stuff at the end.

Just Joined!
    Besides using the 'find' command at a terminal you can also use which or whereis to find gcc.
    Type:
    which gcc
    to display the full path to the gcc binary
    and
    whereis gcc
    to show the paths to the binary and man pages for gcc.