Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I'm really new to the linux world and recently installed red hat 9.0 on my computer.. I've been lurking these forums for a little while and trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob here. Need help on RH9.0

Hey guys,

I'm really new to the linux world and recently installed red hat 9.0 on my computer.. I've been lurking these forums for a little while and trying to learn as much as I could before I ask "noob" questions..

I've been having a few problem trying to install fire fox and redhat package manager to my computer.. I'm not sure if my command line text is wrong but i'm trying to follow directions on how to install programs in the "how to" section but still am having problems.. In advance, I appreciate your help.. Thank you for your time!
    -Broke_

RedHat 9.0 is so out dated that you should really consider upgrading.

Have a look at CentOS.

http://http://www.centos.org/

It is a clone of the RHEL version and it is free.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

If you have an internet connection, open a terminal and type in:
    Code:
    su
    and press enter. It will ask for your root password. Enter it and again press enter.This makes you "super user." Then type:
    Code:
    yum update
    ..and press enter. My guess is the repositories for RedHat 9 are no longer available, but you never know. Should you get it going and yum updated, then do:
    Code:
    yum install firefox
    ..or it might be...
    Code:
    yum install mozilla-firefox
    "9" was a really good version of RedHat but as Lazydog points out, it is comparitively very old now.

In my opinion, Red Hat, CentOS and Fedora are very challenging for a new Linux user. I've been using it for years and STILL find it confounding and frustrating at times. If you want to stay with it, be patient and you will learn much. The danger is frustration setting in too soon and ruining your Linux experience. Ubuntu, Mint, SuSE and others are much easier for a new user. I'd recommend you start with one of those. If you wish to stay with RedHat 9 or a later version, let us know and we'll be glad to help.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's been sometime since I looked at RH9 but I don't believe yum was the installer then but up2date which required an account with RH. Yum was introduced with Fedora. But I could be way off base here, like I said it has been some time.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    It's been sometime since I looked at RH9 but I don't believe yum was the installer then but up2date which required an account with RH. Yum was introduced with Fedora. But I could be way off base here, like I said it has been some time.
    Something was bugging me about that and I think you're right Lazydog. Seems I was using apt-get rpm back then... It's hard to remember. At any rate broke_chanic, this is just one of the difficulties you're going to run up against. It really would be best to move up to a newer version of a distro. But all has not been in vain. Just the fact that you got RH9 installed is quite an achievement and has taught you a lot.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Smile

WOW! Thanks so much for the quick replies..

I was told by a few friends the RH was an easy user friendly OS.. I guess not huh? LOL!. Anyway, I will give centOS a look as it seems to be a little more up to date.. I really didn't think RH was that old but it being open source I understand that this is really fast pace OS to keep up with..

Again, I thank you for the input.. Hopefully I can become just as good as you guys are in this forum and be able to pass on what I learn..

CHEERS!!