Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anyone has used the Icecast server software? I use Fedora 7 and recently installed Icecast onto my PC. I installed it and changed a few entries ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

difficulty running Icecast

I was wondering if anyone has used the Icecast server software? I use Fedora 7 and recently installed Icecast onto my PC. I installed it and changed a few entries in the icecast.xml configuration file- passwords and hostname. Then, I started the Icecast service by using the command: service icecast start. The service starts without any errors. Then, according to an article I found, I can connect to the server through my web browser. I tried this and I had no success. I tried turning the firewall off but that didn't make a difference. The url I used was http://your-hostname:8000/ I entered my hostname in the url.

Now, if I go back a bit, I had chosen a random hostname. Does it matter what I pick for a hostname? I can choose my hostname, can't I? Or do I have to use a specific one? I tried using several different computers and none could access the server through the web browser. I spent hours searching for an answer but I couldn't find one that worked. Does anyone have an idea on what I need to do??

Thank you.

Have you tried contacting the server with just the server machine's ip? Example:
    Code:
    http://12.345.67.89:8000
    ?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Yes, I did. It responded with a message saying the server is not available or taking too long to respond.

I'm actually doing this for a class project and I can't seem to get past this hurdle. Until I get it fixed, I'm afraid I'm stuck. Thank you.