Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try the ekiga echo test (sip:500@ekiga.net) I hear a tone once or twice and then I get the message "can't connect to remote server". I can however ping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I can't get a connection with ekiga softphone

When I try the ekiga echo test (sip:500@ekiga.net) I hear a tone once or twice and then I get the message "can't connect to remote server". I can however ping ekiga.net and get a normal response.

I thought it might be a firewall problem so I took down my firewall for a few moments and tried again, but got the same result.

I attach a debug run from ekiga if that helps.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

There are a couple of firewall ports that need to be opened and forwarded from your router.Check out this link for details

Well I looked at that and none of it quite seems to fit. My NAT test (performed with iptables flushed out because it doesn't work otherwise) reported "open NAT", which isn't any of the ones they name in that guide. And even with iptables flushed and accepting everything by default, ekiga still doesn't work.

Or are we talking about the separate firewall on my adsl router? Because that isn't a linux box, it's a proprietary SMC thingy which I really don't understand. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't block anything; at least there don't seem to be any filtering rules in place.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com