Find the answer to your Linux question:
for anyone who is interested, I have posted this info on my guide on the software page right at the top. it's much faster than 1.0.1 guide is in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

here's how to install/upgrade mozilla 1.3

for anyone who is interested, I have posted this info on my guide on the software page right at the top.

it's much faster than 1.0.1

guide is in my sig

Just Joined!
    Using the RPMs compiled with Xft support allows you to have Mozilla with antialiased fonts in KDE. I "think" it's antialiased..... well, I ran it with Konqueror side by side and I liked what I saw .

Linux Enthusiast
    I use garnome's galeon, and love it. I have had AA fonts since the first developers started integrating the patches like 8-10 months ago (before garnome even). I am really suprised at how well some people keep up with things like mozilla/galeon/GNOME. Seriously garnome is usually released like 2-3 days after the 2.2.x tarballs are out the door. And on the list there is always someone that has the same problems you do. Mmmm . . . open source.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Enthusiast
    I've noticed some people are really into different fonts.
    It offers no appeal to me at all. I am very happy with the newer version of mozilla (1.3) due to its speed and features, I could care less about fonts, but to each his own.

Just Joined!
    When you install a program like Mozilla over itself does it get rid of the old version of Mozilla? I am a newbie if you couldn't tell.

If you can answer this question to a generalized program that would be great too, thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    it depends on what you mean by "over itself". If you are using RedHat then the answer is "usually". If you are compiling from source the answer is "mostly". RedHat has rpm files, these you upgrade with the `rpm -Uvh $file.rpm` command. This overwrites the old version yes. There are others that you don't overwrite though. For instance the kernel. Or if you want to have multiple versions of something. if you install gimp, then gimp-1.3 they will not be installed over each other (they were meant to be able to have parallel installations). If you are compiling from source things change a bit. If you don't remove the old installation first you can sometimes run in to problems. The only real problem is with libraries though, and some misc. other files. Libraries will overwrite themselves, but lets say you install a new libncurses. The old one is called "libncurses.so.5.1" and the new one is "libncurses.so.5.2". If you install the new one, the old one will still be there. The libraries will still be correct (usually it will make a link from "libncurses.so" to "libncurses.so.5.2"). So the answer is "mostly". It overwrites most the stuff, and the stuff that it doesn't probably won't be used. Don't always count on this though.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Then can I ask a more specific question about Mozilla. I followed Yoooowww's direction in installing Mozilla 1.3. I didn't do it from an RPM, I just downloaded the Mozilla installer. It installed fine and everything. Now the issues are this: I would like to somehow get rid of my Mozilla 1.01 that came default with my RH 8.0, and I'd like to get rid of the icon on the panel that links to Mozilla 1.01, and add an icon that links to Mozilla 1.3.

I installed Mozilla in my /usr/local directory which was the default. After installation, it opened up a mozilla window, and I checked the "about mozilla" tab, and it was correctly shown as mozilla 1.3.

But now when I go to the /usr/local directory and type mozilla a window pops up but it is the 1.01 mozilla. I am a little confused now, because I thought the 1.01 mozilla was in /usr/bin.

I checked the install log, and it looks like the installer deleted what it needed to and installed correctly, but from what I can tell all the windows I open up are of Mozilla 1.01. So can somebody help me with these two issues?

Linux Enthusiast
    I updated my guide with more instructions on how to do much of what you are asking, let me know if you still have any questions or if I need to clarify anything.