Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have mostly windows machines running on my network, and I'd like to either be able to access the files on my windows machine from my RH 8.0 machine, or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use Samba

I have mostly windows machines running on my network, and I'd like to either be able to access the files on my windows machine from my RH 8.0 machine, or even better access the printer. I am very newbie at linux, and I'm trying to setup Samba so that I could do that. When I installed RH 8.0, I know I chose Samba as one of the packages to install.

Two issues with this. When I chose to install nearly all the packages during installation, does that just copy the rpm or whatever supporting files I need, to my hard drive, leaving me still the work of having to install it or compile it or whatever linux makes you do? And second, how do I get Samba to work, when I do a [b]'whereis samba'[\b], I see a bunch of listings, so I know it is there somewhere. But I don't see it anywhere on my KDE GUI either. Can somebody please help me?

Linux Enthusiast
    when you install from the cd's and pick the packages you want they are installed for you, you don't have to do it.

and regarding your samba question... if you typed "whereis samba" and it showed you directories, then it is installed.

not all of your programs get placed into your kde or gnome menus

you can run virtually anything by:

pressing alt-f2 and then the name of the program and then enter

for example alt-f2 samba

it should open up samba for you

btw, nearly all executable files are in your /usr/bin directory, so you can look there and see if things are there and if they are, then they are installed

good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll try the Alt-F2 thing...why does everything have to be some complicated....At least I'm learning something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Samba doesn't have a GUI. It has two parts: the server and the client. The server allows you to share files so that Windows computers can use them, and the client allows you to mount Windows shares on your Linux system.
    For example, if you have a share called \\WINBOX\FILES, run "mount -t smbfs //winbox/files /mnt/smb" to mount it on /mnt/smb. If you need to specify a user name, use the switch "-o username=dolda" (to specify dolda as the user name).

Just Joined!
    If you need just a basic SAMBA setup, check if your SWAT service is running (what distro are you running?) if SWAT is running, you can open your favorite web browser and type localhost:901 this will run SWAT... There is also a good program that I use for work (which is a Win Network) it is called LinNeighborhood it finds all of the SMB protocol netwoks and lists their shares. You can then mount them from the interface... if you have any questions, shoot me an email...

evan hazlett

Just Joined!
    Wait you said SAMBA doesn't have a GUI? You mean the actual running of the server or client right? Because it does have a GUI for the Configuration part.

Which leads me to another question. The GUI configuration option for SAMBA, does that have all the options that a samba share can have, or does doing the configuration by hand in the smb.conf file give you more options? I ofcourse don't even know anything more than the basic options right now.

Linux Enthusiast
    when I was using samba, I used smbclient in the terminal, it displayed all the info that I needed and then it was just a matter of mounting the shared directories listed.

Linux Engineer
    Look at my SAMBA howto if you want on http://www.utterberg.com under howtos...

regards

Regards

Andutt