Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I installed Fedora 8. Clean install, Gnome, and everything runs really well. Very happy. However, Evolution wants a password for the "default keyring" in order for it to automatically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Evolution Keyring?

Recently I installed Fedora 8. Clean install, Gnome, and everything runs really well. Very happy. However, Evolution wants a password for the "default keyring" in order for it to automatically download my mail. Since I had never heard of this "keyring", I tried to just enter a blank password. This apparently was not the solution as the keyring remains locked, and I have found no way to configure it or find out what the password actually is--help?

Oh yeah, I have tried every password that I use on this system-including root-nothing will unlock this so-called keyring.

Just Joined!
    Okay-I may have this figured out. In the "sending mail" dialogue of the preferences, I have told Evolution to authenticate POP before SMTP. This has apparently solved this issue. Now when it checks for new mail, it no longer pops up with that "default keyring" error. this must mean that the keyring that it was looking for must be something on my isp's server? Right? Because now that it authenticates POP first, using my username and psswd, it all works fine. Am I right in thinking this?

Just Joined!
    Nope. Still won't work. After I logged out and logged back in-same problem. I think now that the keyring evolution wants access to is something new in Fedora 8-in my case, something broken! Anybody got any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah that annoys me too, i never got that with fc7 but with fc8 i get it, i just wanna check my email real quick lol, thats why i love evolution and other programs of the same nature because i can have all my email right there and i dont have to go to different sites to see it...

of course it is still faster even with this keyring thing but i would prefer it not to be there

Just Joined!
    Just do the following
    mv ~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring ~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring.bkp
    echo -n default ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default

It did work for me... Hope this works for u as well