Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I wanted to install pidgin 2.2.2 on debian and found that it did not have any pre-compiled binary for debian. So, my only way was the 'way of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating binaries for particular distro so as to share them

Hi,
    I wanted to install pidgin 2.2.2 on debian and found that it did not have any pre-compiled binary for debian. So, my only way was the 'way of the source code' As expected I faced a lot of dependency nuisances and finally somehow managed to install pidgin successfully.

But I'm wondering now as to what if I can share the binary with someone who is using debian so that he/she need not face the same dependency problems. If my friend is also using same architecture, say x86 32-bit architecture (does it matter whether it is amd or intel processor, when both are 32-bit x86 processors?), can I just give the file that configure and make create, so that he uses it just like other linux distro-binary or windows .exe file?

Is this possible? If so how? I'm not very well versed in linux. When I look into my pidgin directory I find so many files. Which one is the real 'installer' file which we run when we type 'make install'?

when you do make install the source is being compiled and the executeable is placed int he /usr/bin folder.
    And all the other files are made.
    Eg Library files, homefolder default Settings.
    That kind of stuff.
    You can change it to a Debian Package and submit it
    (If he wants Pidgin he can also use Gaim. A Old version of Pidgin that IS in apt)
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

please explain or give links for further reading

hey robin,
    i was not actually referring to a person. it was just a generic example. also, the issue is not using gaim which comes by default in debian etch. here again gaim/pidgin was just an example.

anyway u said we can make debian packages. but how? kindly explain the process or atleast give links for further reading in this regard.

thanx n regards,
    sv

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by svzard View Post
    hey robin,
    i was not actually referring to a person. it was just a generic example. also, the issue is not using gaim which comes by default in debian etch. here again gaim/pidgin was just an example.

anyway u said we can make debian packages. but how? kindly explain the process or atleast give links for further reading in this regard.

thanx n regards,
    sv
    I find the ubuntu packaging guide pretty good (ubuntu is based on debian) and try searching on ubuntus wiki.
    The debian package maintainers guide is rather detailed it seems