Find the answer to your Linux question:
After following the instructions on Quick Install - TeX Live - TeX Users Group in order to install TexLive on i383-linux in /usr/local/texlive of a machine running Redhat Enterprise Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot get Texlive to work

After following the instructions on Quick Install - TeX Live - TeX Users Group in order to install TexLive on i383-linux in /usr/local/texlive of a machine running Redhat Enterprise Linux release 3 (Taroon Update 7), I ran into the following issue when trying to "latex" or "pdflatex" a simple .tex test file:

Code:
    ?> latex Diss.tex
    This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
     %&-line parsing enabled.
    kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
    I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
    I tried various combinations of "texconfig" and "texconfig-sys" and "fmtutil-sys", using such options as "--enable-fmt latex", "--refresh", "--missing", "--all", but I am still having the problem.

I installed TexLive as user "root", but I tried the above both as "root" and as an ordinary user.

The options I chose during the installation were as follows:
    - I removed several language-specific packages
    - I removed several of the documentation packages
    - I enabled the "install essential binaries" option [because, from its name, it seems to be essential]

But I also tried a flat installation with no options changed (after removing the previous installation). None of this had any impact on the situation.

Does anybody on this forum know more about this problem?

Just Joined!
    This was resolved by unsetting the TEXINPUTS environment variable (which had erroneously been set to point to various directories by .bashrc).