Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
You see, Wine doesn't have a GUI. Newer version of Wine kind of has one, but it's only for configuring. RedHat has already configured that copy for you. To run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

You see, Wine doesn't have a GUI. Newer version of Wine kind of has one, but it's only for configuring. RedHat has already configured that copy for you.
    To run a Windows program, just run "wine /path/to/windows/prog" in a shell.
    For those RPM failures, it seems to me as if the RPM file is just damaged. If you really want to upgrade, try downloading it again.

Linux Enthusiast
    basically you can install programs as .exe's as you would in windows. I haven't used wine all that much but I think I will start using it a lot because it is something else that I would like to get into. There are some windows programs that I really like that I would like to get going.

Normally you would download whatever install file you want and then right click on it and then select open with - then type in wine or winelauncher

that usually works for me. I will iron out a lot more of this stuff as I use it more. I will add this to my guide in a language that can be easily understood soon.

BTW, what would you like to use wine for?

Ed
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help.

Granted this works, I'll be using it for things like Photoshop, possibly some game emulators, and, in the best case, a browser that reads HTML the same way as Internet Explorer. Konqueror interprets things very differently in some cases.

Linux Enthusiast
    have you tried mozilla? I updated to the latest version and it seems pretty good.

I am installing a new version of wine right now from the source. I'll see how it goes.

Linux Enthusiast
    OK, I got wine installed and allowed it to create a fake windows directory - I have Xp on my other partition but because it is NT based, it is not recommended to be used.

You should try to compile the source instead. You can remove your previous version of wine by using any of these commands:

Code:
    Don't forget to uninstall any conflicting previous Wine installation
    first.  Try either "dpkg -r wine" or "rpm -e wine" or "make uninstall"
    before installing.
    that was taken directly from the readme file. You can download the source and extract it and then make sure you read the readme file carefully, but it was pretty easy to install for me. I used to have red hat 8.0 and I had it working fairly well. I have tried to get kazaalite working in 7.3 but no luck in the past. It appears to be working well for me now - I tested it with pressing alt-f2 and then typing wine notepad and it opened up very cleanly.
    Hopefully I can get kazaalite to work again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3