Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi again, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to figure out why a c++ program I wrote si terminated prematurely without any seg faults or anything else by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Seattle, WA or Lewisburg, PA. Depending on time of year.

how to find out why linux terminates program?

Hi again,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to figure out why a c++ program I wrote si terminated prematurely without any seg faults or anything else by linux (i think its a knoppix distro that's runnign on the machines I'm using) I just dont'' understand why it would terminate my program, since I can't seem to find any problem in my code...

thanks

Sorry but if there are no error messages and we do not know what code it is that you are trying to run it is virtually impossible for us to help you.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Engineer
    exactly.. maby some magic dust fell on your computer or something :) please post the code you are having problems with also what disto/kernel version/compiler version and any compile options you used to compile it.

Linux User
    Make sure you run it from a term, so you can see stderr and stdout.
    --monkey

have you tried compiling w/o any optimizer flags?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    if you run it in console mode use redirection of stderr(2) to a file with &2> filename
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Seattle, WA or Lewisburg, PA. Depending on time of year.
    Hey, sorry i wasn't very desscriptive, but I really can't be, especially with posting the code. I was just trying to see if there waas a general method for such things, not for a particular solution. Please don't misunderstand though, I really do appreciate all the replies!

Stahisx, do you mean
    Code:
    program-name &2 > "outputfileneme"
    ? IN the mean time, what is stderr(2), that sounds like a stupid question I know. I've used stderr a bunch, but what is stderr(2)?

Actually, this might help... can redhat (i don't know what version) terminate a program if that program will use all available ram and over? like a program-destruct? This occured to me while i was trying to fix things today...

thanks again!

Just Joined!
    Yes, if a program starts using too much memory the kernel will kill the program. It does this to help prevent memory overflows (which can corrupt your kelnel)

Linux Engineer
    stderr holds all the errors occur when something goes wrong.so with this code you redirect errors in a file.you can also use /var/log/messages to see error logs...
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    this may not matter much and im no guru, but i use knoppix and its an unstable kernel version if that matters..... just a thought and hope it helps =)

daemox