Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, I'm new to linux and am trouble with Java and Mozilla. First, my mozilla browser is mozilla-1.6-8 (comes packaged with FC2) and it works fine if it has not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

j2re crashes mozilla, help

Ok, I'm new to linux and am trouble with Java and Mozilla.

First, my mozilla browser is mozilla-1.6-8 (comes packaged with FC2) and it works fine if it has not tried to interface with Java. I installed j2re1.4.2_05 and it works just fine, but any time that I put a symbolic link in the mozilla plugin folder mozilla crashes out on start up. After mozilla crashes the first time, the only way I have been able to fix it is by uninstalling and reinstalling mozilla from the FC2 disc. Once mozilla crashes, nothing else I have tried will bring it back. I have tried removing the symbolic link, and reverting /etc/profile.d/java.sh, I have uninstalled java, but nothing else fixes mozilla. Its important that I can use java in conjuction with mozilla so if anyone has any ideas as to how I can remedy this please let me know.

Also, I get no error message of any kind.

I think that there is a specific plugin for java in mozilla, i dont know if linking to the main j2re is what you were supposted to do, but ive never installed java in mozilla... reguardless. If you need a browser with java support, Opera can be installed with java integrated. The interface isnt perfect, but it is a good quick fix untill you get mozilla running correctly. (did you try dling the mozilla installer and running the uninstall script?, then just re-installing) or, you can utilize yum,
    Code:
    yum install mozilla
    then something like
    Code:
    yum install mozilla-plugin-java
    should do it ( I dont know the name, you will probably have to search for the plugin on yum)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I can't get any version of java to work on any browser! has no one else run into this problem??

I'll continue to research it, but any help would be great.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i have done that (use java) with export command...now i don't really remember how i did that.i'll search and post if find something..
    Linux For Ever!

does your normal j2re work? or is the entire enviroment trashed?

Formerly Known as qub333

also, when you install mozilla, on the default homepage, there is a link to plugin installation, look at the java one.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yeah, my java environment works, just not with mozilla. I got my rpm from the default homepage too. Thanks for the help so far, but any other suggestions?

can u install firefox and then the java plugin for that and see what comes of it?

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    FireFox does the same thing as mozilla. I downloaded mozilla 1.7 and was able to install the java plugin just fine. My new problem is that mozilla crashes only when I access a web page containing java. The plugin shows up in the 'About Plug-ins' but still crashes out.

so you can use the browser fine untill the page w/ java. if you know enough java, you cna open the java console and try summin in that.... is this anysite with java? or just this one?

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast