Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am using suse9.1 personal. I was able to browse windows partition while workin in my suse then i have to reinstall my linux. now i cannot access windows partition, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows with suse

i am using suse9.1 personal. I was able to browse windows partition while workin in my suse then i have to reinstall my linux. now i cannot access windows partition, because of that i reinstalled 3 times my linux but still same issue. i update my linux every day. i have latest smb patches. dn know what to do [/b]

Just Joined!
    First thing to do, look at the file /etc/fstab. Does if list the windows partition? If not, that's why you can't see it.

Just Joined!

windows partition

in fstab i don have windows partition. How to fix this imean how to enter and what to enter in there
    thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In my computer, windows is installed in the first partition of the first hard drive, which is /dev/hda1. I created a mount point in the /mnt directory (use the command mkdir to create a directory: such as mkdir /mnt/windows to create a windows mount point). That mount point must also be in /etc/fstab. I have windows98, so the filesystem type is vfat. If you have something like winXP, the filesystem type is ntfs. Mount options must also be in fstab. Mine is simple: user, because I can read and write to a win98 partition. If you have winXP, you can read only, so the option would be something like user,ro (which means mount read only). The last two digits are the number 0, space, 0. The line looks like this:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat user 0 0

I don't remember what the numbers mean.

Put that in /etc/fstab and save it. Then reboot and try again to see and mount the partition.

Just Joined!

fstab

Thanks a lot for ur help. I can browse windows now but sadly only when i login as root.
    Sorry to bother u but do u know if i can access from my user account. i have lots of stuff in windows partition and my wife she knows only windows
    thanks again

you can add your user to the samba group and they will be able to use it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    You shouldn't need samba for this; I believe changing the "user" to "users" in your fstab line should do the trick, as long as the user who's trying to view the partition is in the group "users". The difference is that with "user", only the user who mounted the partition can see it, but with "users", anyone who's in that group can.

Hope this helps!
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Just Joined!

Mount windows

Guys thanks for help. I know i m creating lots of problems. i changed my fstab to uses instead of user and guess what " i cannot mount windows now from my user or from root." so ichangedback to use and same thing cannot mount that windows partition. i've tried everything for example user id and group id but still no results
    here my fstab

dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1

/dev/hda3 /home reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/hda4 /opt reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/window ntfs user 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=ut f8 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=ut f8 0

THIS FSTAB WAS WORKING BUT LAST TIME I DELETED MY ",FSTAB..SWP"

I'll appreciate if anybody can reply back with solution
    Thanks again for all ur support

Just Joined!

mount windows

i changed to users from user. sorry for spellings