Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i'm really new to linux, im ok at navigating and am learning stuff but unfortunately when it comes to installing things im clueless. I'm running yellowdog 3.0 which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help installing a DC client.

Hello, i'm really new to linux, im ok at navigating and am learning stuff but unfortunately when it comes to installing things im clueless. I'm running yellowdog 3.0 which is based on RedHat on a 1st gen imac. I'm trying to install a DC client like DCgui or DCTC. I can download the files but i don't know what to do with them. if they're compressed i dont know how to uncompress them. It doesnt show what format they are? Has anyone installed any DC clients and would be willing to guide me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    What are the names of the files you downloaded? If they end in .tar.gz, then they are g-zipped tar archives, and you should use
    Code:
    tar xzvf funkycrud.tar.gz
    to extract them. If they are in .tar.bz2 format, then they are b-zipped tar archives, and you should use
    Code:
    tar xjvf lambshanks.tar.bz2
    to do so. And if they are in .rpm format, use
    Code:
    rpm -i shuttlecock.rpm
    to extract them. There should be a README or an INSTALL file in the directory to which they extract which will describe the installation process in detail.

Hope this helps!
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Linux Newbie
    these steps are for installing anything from source.
    1. first uncompress
    for *.tar.gz type 'tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz'
    for *.tar.bz2 type 'tar -xvzf filename.tar.bz2'
    2. read any readme files, cuz the rest might change slightly depending on software. type 'less README'
    3. configure the software. type './configure'
    4. compile the software. type 'make'
    5. install the sotware. type 'su -c make install'

these are for installing an rpm
    1. install. type 'rpm -i filename.rpm'

great tutorials at
    http://www.tldp.org and
    http://www-136.ibm.com/developerworks

good luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    the file ends in .deb. what do i do for this one

Just Joined!
    i tried a diefferent one that was .src.rpm, in the way you said to do rpm's and it did nothing.

Linux Newbie
    If it's .deb then it's a Debian package and probably won't work if you're running a Redhat-esque system. RPMs definitely will work though; just not source RPMs, which is .src.rpm. That just gives you the source code, but you want a compiled package.

What is the site from which you are downloading? If you could show us what packages are available for download, maybe we could point you in the right direction.

Just Joined!
    This is the package i'm downloading. I have Yellow Dog 3.0 on an iMac, since it's based on redhat im assuming that's the package i would download.

Also i tried to extract the .src.rpm using the method above and it didn't work?

I'm not sure how to compile this thing once i open the package either.

Are their any good books on this stuff people could reccommend, as good as the info on the internet is it's my experience that sometimes one massive book can cover most everything.

Just Joined!
    Ok, i put Debian on my computer and it's running great i have KDE going, and everything seems to be good(with the exception that i can't figure out how to get sound, or install my USB Zip Drive). I tried installing the debian package, i did the test first before actually installing it, and it said that it was intended for different architecture, so in other words not an iMac(PPC) i guess. Is there any other option to get it to work, or are there any PPC Direct Connect Clients out there?

Just Joined!

DC++ hard to install

look i am reallly new in dc and i don't know how to install linux
    can you pleace paste the code here so i can download it