Find the answer to your Linux question:
So just a bit of background, I had been running fine on 2.6.6.427 moved to 2.6.6.435 and had usb issues, had to fall back to 2.6.5.358 where i am now. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xmms mp3 plays the first beat of the file nothing else

So just a bit of background, I had been running fine on 2.6.6.427 moved to 2.6.6.435 and had usb issues, had to fall back to 2.6.5.358 where i am now. Only important because xmms wokred fine on 2.6.6.427.. So now I am back on 2.6.5.358 and have gotten my laptop stable again. However my xmms does not properly play mp3's. It will play wav's ok but not mp3's. Either off of a cd device, or with the files copied to the hardrive, it plays about the fist beat or two of the song over again very quickly for around 2 seconds and then stops. (kinda like a scratched cd) It will do this on any mp3 that i ask it to play including files that worked fine on the 2.6.6.427 kernel. I have removed the rpm and the mp3 plugin, and reinstalled them. Also just dowloaded the src for xmms1.2.10 and compiled it, this did not affect the problem. I ran it thru gdb looking for additional information, but since the app doesnt crash the backtrace didn't show anything. In the gdb window it shows the following
    [Thread 53730224 (zombie) exited]
    [New Thread 53730224 (LWP 28117)]
    [Thread 53730224 (zombie) exited]
    [New Thread 53730224 (LWP 2811]
    the zombie exited part is when i try to play the track again. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I dont know where to begin troubleshooting this.

gateway m350 laptop
    fedora core 2 2.6.5.358 kernel
    xmms 1.2.10 (rpm and compile src)

-Aaron

Just Joined!
    did you completely remove XMMS before recompiling? did you install XMMS on the later Kernel? Can you play mp3 files with any other programs?
    Based on the info given, it is hard to tell if it is XMMS or the Kernel that is causing the error.

Just Joined!

so i installed mpg123

Just for kicks i installed mpg123 to test with, i am guessing given its simplicity this is one of the more reliable/stable players out there. It does the same thing xmms does and gives back these resultsMPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo
    mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 801 bits!
    mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 154 bits!

Does this tell you any thing

-Aaron

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well, yes. That tells me that the problem is more than likely the Kernel. Does mp3 support work with the newer Kernel, or did it stop working on both? If it still works on the newer Kernel then all I can think is that your Kernel might be currupted, although I may be wrong. Try completely unistalling everything that uses mp3 support, and reinstalling it only on the Kernel that you will be using. I know that is going to be alot of work, but it is better than formatting and reinstalling your distro, which is my next suggestion.

Just Joined!

Well I now have to reinstall anyway

I submitted a post over in the redhat/fedora help group for this one, but basicaly something went wrong when untarring a tar from a smbclient session, my bin directory was of written with a file called bin. very bizare, i wasnt root when untarring so i don't know how this happened, non the less i believe i will be reinstalling. Thanks for you advice.

-Aaron

Just Joined!

Ok resinstalled fc2 the issue is back

I have completed a full reinstall removing and formatting the privous installation. I am on the 2.6.5 kernel that shipped with the dist. MP3's are still skipping on the fist beat for 2 seconds or so then failing. Below is the output from mpg123

Playing MPEG stream from Alphaville-Big in Japan.mp3 ...
    Junk at the beginning 49443303
    MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo
    mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 555 bits!
    mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 40 bits!

Any advice again please

TIA
    -Aaron