Find the answer to your Linux question:
I login to an IP cam using Asus's Eeepc mini notebook running Linux and Mozilla browser, I can see the web page but without image. In windows base, the IE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Active X for Linux

I login to an IP cam using Asus's Eeepc mini notebook running Linux and Mozilla browser, I can see the web page but without image. In windows base, the IE will prompt you to install active x , is there any substitute for linux? Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, there is no program that will allow you to run ActiveX controls in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

MediaWrap is a Firefox addon that claims it has some support for ActiveX. Although it's not clear if it works on all platforms.

I haven't tried it and don't plan to. ActiveX is dangerous.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by timwghk View Post
    I login to an IP cam using Asus's Eeepc mini notebook running Linux and Mozilla browser, I can see the web page but without image. In windows base, the IE will prompt you to install active x , is there any substitute for linux? Thanks
    No that I know of. You *might* (or might not at all) have some luck running IE under wine. In that case, this would be useful:

Main Page - IEs4Linux

No idea if it will work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
    MediaWrap is a Firefox addon that claims it has some support for ActiveX. Although it's not clear if it works on all platforms.

I haven't tried it and don't plan to. ActiveX is dangerous.
    Yes. I wouldn't run it (if it is even possible, which, as I said above, I don't know) without taking some caution.

First, if you are going to do so, bear in mind that any activex exploit or threat can damage your user account as much as it would damage your info in windows. By importing such a ridiculously insecure technology into linux you also import most vulnerabilities.

However, if you plan to try, you should run it into a new clean user account, so, if something bad happens, the damege (if any) will be limited to that account, and should not make any harm at all if the permissions for your system folders and your regular user's home are ok.

Just Joined!

Active X control

I have the same problem. I login to an IP cam using Acer aspire one mini notebook running Linux and Mozilla browser, I can see the web page but without image. In the Mozilla browser,l prompt you saying active x is missing. Is there any substitute for linux? Thanks..

As far as anything to do with ActiveX, your only possible options were already listed in the previous posts as nothing has changed in Linux/ActiveX support.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.