Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK I have tons of programs that I just will need once I have transferred to Linux. I have explored enough to know that I have all the productivity software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My Favorite Windows Programs in Linux??

OK I have tons of programs that I just will need once I have transferred to Linux. I have explored enough to know that I have all the productivity software that i could need. The following is a list of Programs in Windows that I use and if you could post the compatible Program in Linux. Thanks!

1) AIM compatible chat
    2) Windows Meadia Player
    3) Adware remover
    4) Virus Scanner/Protection
    5) Valve Steam
    6) Limewire (or any other download programs)

I know I sound like such a newbie but I am totally clueless and could use a few pointers.

Linux Newbie
    gaim for aim.
    mplayer for media.

adware remover on linux, that's new to me. i never ran into an adware problem on linux.

i do think there are anti-virus programs for linux though. don't know of any, cuz i don't use 'em. i wouldn't worry. just don't be playing around as root too much. just remember, "he who play as root, eventually break tree" confucious.

never heard of valve steam. but maybe that's just because i have so much physics homework i can't play computer games.

check this site out, http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/, i think you would like it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help!!

Yeah, I should have know better than adware in Linux, but I just wondered about the sites putting them in there Linux or Windows. I know some of the basic sites I visit put it there.

Yeah, Valve Steam is basically what you need to play Counter-Strike. I don't play that much and am not very good, but I would like to have a few games in Linux.

BTW: I know the feeling about HW, when school starts back in the Fall I will have loads upon loads of HW.

Just Joined!
    as for limewire there u will find a linux version on there site

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

there is also apollon , it connects to kazaa , gnutella , openft

Linux Newbie
    your welcome

Just Joined!
    Ok
    yes linux can work for you I just switch a small business over to linux from windows and quite a few friends ,
    if you are a beginner then I suggest linspire 4.5 its easy and simple and though the true linux fanatics will say its not true linux ..dont listen it is .

if you are a little more advanced I suggest Suse 9.1 you can use gaim for instant messaging , Gnutella or limewire for p2p downloading [many other programs too]
    its got nvidea drivers and live updates I use amoroke for music and streaming radio , but kaffeine I found is great too good visuals and mplayer or xine or kaffeine for dvd's and avi files , honestly anything you can do in windows you can do in linux ,

I am reletively new [ 3 years ] I run a small network consulting business out of my home and my business is 100% linux now
    my kids [11 and 8 ] use linspire I use suse and mandrake my wife uses gentoo
    which took me a full week to configure .

Linspire will take you 15 mins to install on your machine you can subscribe to thier click and run service and their are thousands of programs for you to install

Just Joined!
    Is Linspire another version of Linux or is it a program package?

Linux Newbie
    Linspire is a commercial Linux distribution. You have to pay for it(from time to time there are exceptions).
    It's a Windows wannabe built on Linux and it very much violates everything I understand Linux, GNU and F/OSS to be about. They do things like take the hard work of F/OSS developers and rename it to Linspire this and Linspire that.
    For example, They took Mozilla and renamed it to Linspire Web Browser, Linspire Mail etc. I viewed their flash demo the other night and the impression I got was they want the viewer to think they developed all the software in Linspire. I mean, the primary desktop environment is KDE but you wouldn't know it by looking at any of the package names.
    Linspire might make it easy for a beginner to get started using Linux but I'll be damned if I'd ever encourage anybody, newbie or otherwise, to use it.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

concured, i would agree with you wholeheartedly, but if its between M$ and linspire....linspire wins. They may be theiving kiniving sons of a;sdljf;alsd j but they do make a decent product, more than windows can say (dont worry, i have never touched linspire)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

i would like to get someone who has used linspire here to write a basic review saying what they liked and what they didnt like about it. i would love to try it out just to get a feel of what its like but i am not paying 50 bucks for it and then another 50 to beable to use click-an-run cause i perfer to support the distro that i like and if i dont know if i will even like linspire i dont want to hand them money with out know if i will keep running it or not. but if someone has used it let use know what you think. thanks
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast