Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good clipboard manager that I can use with Gnome? I've actually found and tried several, but they all seem to add an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a good clipboard manager...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good clipboard manager that I can use with Gnome? I've actually found and tried several, but they all seem to add an icon to the notification area. I'm hoping to find one which will work entirely in the background, simply allowing me to retain the contents of the last copy from an application which I have closed.

Any suggestions?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You could try Glipper. I've not tried it so don't know how well it works, but at least it's for Gnome. It might add the icons you referred to, though.

Best of luck with the search.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the welcome

Glipper was actually the first one I tried. It does put itself in the notification area "tray." I guess I am very picky, but I am surprised I haven't been able to find one that is invisible to the user... as a simple clipboard manager should be, in my opinion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I googled a bit and found Clipboard Daemon. Maybe it'll work for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the effort

It looks perfect, but I've tried that one too,, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I can run the process, but it just doesn't do what it's supposed to.

oz
    forum.guy
    You might find some other clipboard options listed here. Maybe someone else will know of something in the interim.

Good luck with the search.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Well, I don't know of such a thing, but since you seem the kind of person that likes self made solutions (as long as they work) I just though of a possibility.

The X primary buffer receives the contents usually when you select some text. There's a tool that can show the actual contents of the primary buffer: xsel. This should do it, for example, if I select this paragraph that I am writing, I get this when running it conveniently:

$ xsel -o -p
    The X primary buffer receives the contents usually when you select some text. There's a tool that can show the actual contents of the primary buffer: xsel. This should do it, for example, if I select this paragraph that I am writing, I get this when running it conveniently:
    The problem is the contents of this buffer is erased if the host application is closed. But there's another buffer (the clipboard) that is not erased, so, we just need a way to copy this into the clipboard, and that can be done this way:

Code:
    xsel -o -p | xsel -i -b
    This outputs the primary buffer, and pipes the output transforming it into the input for the clipboard. From that momment, you should be able to paste it in most applications using whatever binding they use for that purpose (control+v, for example).

So, you basically have to bind this latest command to a key binding in your wm (I leave that as an exercise for you). Then you just select a text, and the text is cloned from the primary X buffer into the clipboard. From that moment, you can close your app and the contents of the clipboard should still be available to any application that can access it.

There will be apps that can't do that because only support the X primary buffers. I can't think of any easy workaround for them.

An alternative, are dockapps. I know that there are some wmaker applets that can control the clipboard (even with history and such).

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion, i92gubuj. I can't seem to get it to work right, but I'll keep playing with it