Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to build Virtualbox from source and having problems. It's asking for qt "headers" but there is no such package in the Crux ports. I DO have qt3 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trying to compile Virtualbox

I'm trying to build Virtualbox from source and having problems. It's asking for qt "headers" but there is no such package in the Crux ports. I DO have qt3 and qt4 which are installed.

Ubuntu has libqt3-headers that can be installed with apt-get. Can anyone tell me what this package might be called in other distros and whether or not it can be found in a source package?

Here's the error:
    Code:
    Checking for Qt:
      Qt not found at "/usr/share/qt" or Qt headers not found
      Check the file /usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/configure.log for detailed error information.
    =======> ERROR: Building '/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/virtualbox#1.5.2-2.pkg.tar.gz' failed.
    prt-get: error while install

-- Packages where install failed
    virtualbox
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    On Fedora 8 there is:
    The qt-devel package contains the files necessary to develop applications using the Qt GUI toolkit: the header files, the Qt meta object compiler.

Install qt-devel if you want to develop GUI applications using the Qt toolkit.
    there is an rpm source for ark linux at RPM Search qt-devel-3.3.8-4ark.i586.rpm
    + other distros.

Thanks wowbag1, that helped a lot! I downloaded an .RMP for qt-devel, made it into a tar.gz with rpm2targz. I then installed it but it got installed to /lib. I copied the files over to where virtualbox wanted to find it in /usr/local/qt and got to the make stage. I'm really a lot farther along, but now having this problem...
    Code:
    kmk[3]: *** [/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/RuntimeR0Drv/misc/sanity-c.o] Error 1
    The failing command:
            @gcc -c -O2 -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-stack-protector -O2  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -msoft-float -Ir0drv/linux -I/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/src/VBox/Runtime -I/lib/modules/2.6.24.1/build/include -I/lib/modules/2.6.24.1/build/include/asm-i386/mach-default -I/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/include -I/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/out/linux.x86/release -Iinclude -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITHOUT_IDT_PATCHING -DVBOX_OSE -DRT_OS_LINUX -D__LINUX__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -D__X86__ -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DRT_WITHOUT_NOCRT_WRAPPERS -DMODULE -DKBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR\(vboxdrv\) -DKBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR\(vboxdrv\) -DIN_SUP_R0 -Wp,-MD,/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/RuntimeR0Drv/misc/sanity-c.o.dep -Wp,-MT,/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/RuntimeR0Drv/misc/sanity-c.o -Wp,-MP -o /usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/RuntimeR0Drv/misc/sanity-c.o /usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/src/VBox/Runtime/misc/sanity-c.c
    kmk[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/src/VBox/Runtime'
    kmk[2]: *** [pass_libraries_before] Error 2
    kmk[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/src/VBox'
    kmk[1]: *** [pass_libraries_before] Error 2
    kmk[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/work/src/VirtualBox-1.5.2_OSE/src'
    kmk: *** [pass_libraries_before] Error 2
    =======> ERROR: Building '/usr/ports/contrib/virtualbox/virtualbox#1.5.2-2.pkg.tar.gz' failed.
    prt-get: error while install

-- Packages where install failed
    virtualbox
    On one of the Gentoo forums, a popular fix is this:
    The problem seems to be related to the opengl support.

I got around the problem by setting opengl to use the xorg support rather than the nvidia one. (using eselct opengl) And then setting it back to nvidia again after the emerge.

Code:
    eselect opengl set 2
    emerge -u virtualbox
    eselect opengl set 1
    Thing is, I don't have anything called "eselect," nor is it in the Crux ports. I feel like this can be done configuring a file somewhere but don't know which one. Any ideas about this? Anyone?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have installed VirtualBox on Fedora 8 from a binary package that was available from the Linux Format March 2008 magazine. There were packages for most of the "top" distros and there was also a "generic installer" named "VirtualBox_1.5.4_Linux_x86.run" and also a 64 bit version.

Don't know if that helps though, just happened to see VirtualBox in the mag and about a dozen distros included on a double sided DVD and gave it a try.

Thanks ryptyde! I just kept running into a brick wall trying to compile. VirtualBox_1.5.6-1_Linux_x86.run installed without incident and is running perfectly! Just to test it out, I ran DSL on the virtual machine. I'm very happy with the results!

Ta da!
    Link

Thanks everyone for pitching in.

Cool! Glad it worked out!

EDIT: thanks for the link to the newer version, downloading now!
    Last edited by ryptyde; 02-27-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Thanks for the update link.