Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I successfully completed installing pidgin ( Home | Pidgin ) from its source code. Now, I wish to enable a particular Transliteration plugin. I downloaded that plugin and successfully ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No plugins directory in ~/.purple

Hello,

I successfully completed installing pidgin (Home | Pidgin) from its source code. Now, I wish to enable a particular Transliteration plugin. I downloaded that plugin and successfully ran the make command for the same. The last step in the Readme of that plugin asks to copy a particular .so file to ~/.purple/plugins . This is where I get stuck.
    Because there is no such directory by the name "plugins" under ~/.purple. There is a file by the name plugins though.
    Now my requirement is to install this plugin in the directory it specifies and then enable the plugin from pidgin in Tools -> Pugins.

Request to help me.

Regards,
    Nivedhitha

you just have to create the plugins directory manually then copy the .so file into it

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your quick reply. However, i am not able to create a directory manually because of the following error:

# pwd
    /root/.purple

# mkdir plugins
    mkdir: cannot create directory `plugins': File exists

are you running pidgin as root? You should be creating a folder .purple/plugins under your own home directory, not root

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your great help.
    I created that directory for a normal user and everything is working great!

Thanks again