Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to compile Blender (i have the source) but I've hit a brick wall at getting "alut"; I've got "openal" downloaded (from openal.org) & compiled; but every attempt to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling Blender - openal/alut

I'm trying to compile Blender (i have the source) but I've hit a brick wall at getting "alut";
    I've got "openal" downloaded (from openal.org) & compiled; but every attempt to obtain "alut" is failing.

I've tried the "source tar", "source rpm", and "binary rpm" with no luck.
    When I tried the Linux RPM version, it complained that OpenAL isn't there (but it is! ... and when I try to compile Blender, that does find it).
    The source tar simply contains another file named "tar<something else>" which itself can't be processed by the archive manager.. usually when trying to install a source tar i've just hit extract and got a nice directory holding actual source files in which you can execute make..

Any suggestions - are there any other places I can get this library ? Might i need to install "openAL" differently for the alut rpm to find it ?

I'm using Fedora Core 7 at the minute.
    Before you suggest Ubuntu studio, Ubuntu 7.1 doesn't work on my laptop

Isn't Blender in the Fedora 7 repos anyway? You should be able to install it automatically using Yum.

Just Joined!
    ok i deleted, reobtained the source code, and did configure / make / make install in openal & freealut..
    This gave me openal.so & freealut.so.0 / freealut.so in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local.

but i still get
    "./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libalut.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Do I have to add paths to some sort of enviroment variable to make it find it... how does this work ?
    EDIT:
    now I've found 'ld.so.conf', I've tried adding /usr/local/lib there, and i've tried moving my libraries into one of the directories i already found there (nasty hack)... neither worked... arrrghh...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ceti331 View Post
    ok i deleted, reobtained the source code, and did configure / make / make install in openal & freealut..
    This gave me openal.so & freealut.so.0 / freealut.so in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local.

but i still get
    "./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libalut.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Do I have to add paths to some sort of enviroment variable to make it find it... how does this work ?
    You can try adding these paths into LDPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. You can also try preloading the libs like in

LD_PRELOAD="path/to/so_file.so" ./whatever
    You can also just symlink the libs into the /lib dir, though I wouldn't do that if regular users have write permissions into /usr/local. I wouldn't do that anyway, since your package manager could very well overwrite or erase those symlinks and screw you up again.

Just Joined!
    ok thanks! Copying them directly into "/lib" got it running, which will do for the moment
    None of the attempts to modify the paths (i'd also found something suggesting you add the paths to "/etc/ld.so.conf" & run "ldconfig") worked, worryingly. Is there a tool that will show you the current library search paths?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ceti331 View Post
    ok thanks! Copying them directly into "/lib" got it running, which will do for the moment
    None of the attempts to modify the paths (i'd also found something suggesting you add the paths to "/etc/ld.so.conf" & run "ldconfig") worked, worryingly. Is there a tool that will show you the current library search paths?
    Sure, you can do that with a simple ldd:

# ldd /bin/bash
    linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff52ffd000)
    libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x00002b6e57b49000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00002b6e57d2a000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002b6e57f2e000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00002b6e57b0e000)
    It will also show if there's is a problem to link to any of the files.