Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this sounds weird, so I will first explain my situation. In my office we use Windows 2000 but for internet access there is a virtual Linux O/S which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Rootless Installation

I know this sounds weird, so I will first explain my situation.

In my office we use Windows 2000 but for internet access there is a virtual Linux O/S which we log on and use Firefox for web access. I personally would like to surf some internet sites which work only in IE. After a little research I found a program to get ie work under linux called ies4linux, and figured out i have to install first wine to get it work. This is the point my problem starts. I don`t have the root password and the network/computer guys are not so eager to install some programs for my personal satisfaction.

I thought there should be a way to change the location of files which need to be extracted in root access requiring folders to somewhere doesn`t require any root permissions and still be able to install and run the application. Something like "install only for this particular user" option in Windows. I`m not sure but I think there should be ways to manipulate source files before configuration and installation so make install doesn`t ask for the root password and the files are installed in the folders I have read, write and execute access.

Does anybody have any idea/advise/lessons learned/solution. Any help is mostly appreciated.

Regards,

If Wine is installed already you can manually install Internet Explorer as it is only installed in the fake wine drive in the user's home directory. IES4Linux is only a tool to install IE with Wine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    If Wine is installed already you can manually install Internet Explorer as it is only installed in the fake wine drive in the user's home directory. IES4Linux is only a tool to install IE with Wine.
    As you say, this would solve my problem. But no, Wine is not installed...