Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hai to alll.. i am new to Linux and i am badly in need of information about how to install .exe file .... So someone do give me clear information ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Install .exe file?

Hai to alll.. i am new to Linux and i am badly in need of information about how to install .exe file .... So someone do give me clear information regarding this.

Thank you.!!!!!!!!

An .exe file is Windows; the only time you use such a file in Linux is when you are trying to install a Windows programme with Wine or Crossover. What are you trying to install? What distribution are you using?
    Please note that you don't generally download and install software in Linux like you do in Windows. Tell us what you want to install and we'll tell you how to tackle it. But don't forget to indicate your distribution because the exact procedure varies.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    An .exe file is Windows; the only time you use such a file in Linux is when you are trying to install a Windows programme with Wine or Crossover. What are you trying to install? What distribution are you using?
    Please note that you don't generally download and install software in Linux like you do in Windows. Tell us what you want to install and we'll tell you how to tackle it. But don't forget to indicate your distribution because the exact procedure varies.

I wanted to install dot net framework 2.0 version and i wanted to migrate my windows application tat i am now using in windows platform to Linux platform.Kindly do the needfull.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    For the dot net framework on Linux, you need to install Mono, exactly how you install Mono depends on which distribution (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/Red Hat/Mandriva/CentOs/Suse/Gentoo/etc...) you are using. We need more infomation if we're going to help you.

Having said all that, there are far better libraries than dot net if you want to develop or port something to run natively on Linux, for a start you might want to look into GTK and libGlade, which can be developed relatively easily using the Anjuta IDE.

Just Joined!
    Actually i am having Suse Linux and i ve installed MONO software in Linux oS and now i wanted to test my windows application in Linux...
    What should be my next step?
    It would be be better if u can give me the Sequence of steps to get the job done.....

Linux User
    Ok, well you're not going to be able to just install your windows application and run it. Assuming you have the source code, you may be able to compile it under Linux using mono-develop if it's a console application.

If it's a GUI application you'll have to put a lot more work into it before you can compile it, as dot net isn't cross-platform for anything but console applications. Basicly you'll need to rewrite all the GUI part of the app to use GTK, you should be able to do this with mono-develop. Once you've converted the app to use GTK, then it will be able to run on any system with both the dot net and GTK libraries installed.

Once it's compiled, you can run it from the command line with:
    mono /path/to/executable

Just Joined!
    OK Thank You.... When I try to Open MonoDevelop its not openig Anything.... What could be the Problem?
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-12-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Remved formatting tags.

Just Joined!
    Hai to all....
    Wat version of Mono wil support on Linux SUSE 10.0 distribution.Kindly do the needful!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!

Question help to install songbird on Centos

i am using centos 5 version and i want to install songbird.exe. Please suggest how to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post

Why not start a new thread? This one's 9 months old now. However, I have nothing to add more than I said back then. Why are you using an .exe? That's a Windows extension. Songbird should be available that way and, if not, go find the rpm and install that. If you have any more questions, start a new thread and we'll be more than happy to help you out.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT