Find the answer to your Linux question:
For the record, I'm to say that gnomebaker as of March 2008 from the repository for Ubuntu 7.04 sucks. I'm thinking it's seriously out of date with something (the kernel, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down Gnomebaker SUCKS!!!!!!!

For the record, I'm to say that gnomebaker as of March 2008 from the repository for Ubuntu 7.04 sucks. I'm thinking it's seriously out of date with something (the kernel, programs, etc.. I'm not sure). It might be with the wodim/cdrecord switch. Either way, it wasn't allowing me to append data.

In my honest opinion, it's been sucking for a long time. I can't really remember a time I had a good experience with gnomebaker except a burn-once type of situation.

Sure, I could append data via the terminal. But jeebus, there are a ton of codes to memorize for burning a CD through the terminal. Too many specifics and too many ways to have something go wrong.

Tons of people are recommending it still. I don't mind if it actually works, but it doesn't. It seems like others on forums (noobs) are telling other people (other noobs) to use this and that. So, as a social duty, I'm putting a stop to that right here for the moment.

I'm using Brasero, and I think it works pretty well. And funny enough, it takes less size.
    What is the problem with these programs, anyway, since they are just calling out commands from the program?
    They just need some radio buttons, submit buttons, and etc.
    Well, Brasero has a nice layout without degrading itself, and is up to date.

That is the great thing about FOSS, there are allways alternatives out there waiting for you to discover. Also if you feel that annoyed about a current implimentation then you can start your own.
    This is not a very constructive post and I understand that you are annoyed. Why not contact the people involved and give your evaluation in a calmer manner?

It's always good to catch my idiocy. So, I must say both Gnomebaker and Brasero suck. I just tried getting a multisession DVD+RW to work. Works incredibly well in puppy linux via shell scripting, but doesn't seem to give a multisession with either of those programs. My final evaluation of the CD/DVD burning programs in linux is this:

DIY shell scripting.
    I tried gnomebaker and k3b years ago. I try them once in a while to see if I can do anything with them. Lately, I've been using Windows for multi-session. And that's pretty sad.

I'm thinking there is something seriously wrong with the developers and their programs if a shell script is the only thing I can use to actually do this stuff.

Well, one more day of being a terminal female dog.
    I'm off.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Although we're glad you found something that does what you want, I'd discourage you from making threads like this in the future. It's okay to say you're having problems with a program and are looking for other programs to use instead. However, the title of this thread makes it seem as though you're just venting frustration. That's a post for the Coffee Lounge, if at all. Locked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants