Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently our sales reps have a network drive that they only have access to, to store personal files and whatnot. With so many of the them going on the road ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

online storage software??

Currently our sales reps have a network drive that they only have access to, to store personal files and whatnot.

With so many of the them going on the road and using Aircards with thier laptops, I would like to give them online access without the 'clumsyness' of VPN clients.

Is there a different way??
    I was thinking a web based software or something that would allow them to have access to a directory and at least download and upload files.

Or an easy way to configure VPN so all then have to do is point and click??

I suppose I could write a webbased interface for them, but was hoping a more robust application already existed.

Thanks,
    P

Linux Newbie
    There are Web Operating Systems where you can log on store your files and perform many other activities some of them have a free storage upto 2Gb.

www.youos.com, desktoptwo.com are among them.

Apology if you already know.

Webmin with user level permission is enough! they not only can upload / download file, but also can setup their own vpn easily! I did the same thing on my torrent users for one of my server. Yes! your server should have vpn software installed first such openvpn..

Linux Engineer
    A simple soulution would be to set up an ftp server, they could connect with a gui or whatever, some apps are even able to connect to ftp servers through the open and save dialogs.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by valan View Post
    A simple soulution would be to set up an ftp server, they could connect with a gui or whatever, some apps are even able to connect to ftp servers through the open and save dialogs.
    Even simpler and more secure would be to use ssh. Under linux you can even use sshfs to mount it and work with remote files just like if they were in a local folder.

It will be transparent if you use key pairs instead of a tipical login system.