Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for a decent webbrowser for my laptop. And here it the trick. My laptop doenst run X. Neither am I planning to do so. I know Links. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for Decent webbrowser

I am looking for a decent webbrowser for my laptop.
    And here it the trick. My laptop doenst run X. Neither am I planning to do so.
    I know Links. But that doesnt support Images and Javascript and Flash and Java-Applets.
    Is there anyone out there that did take the time to implant that stuff?

If so, please let me know.

Thansk
    Robin

(ps. If I could make FireFox run 100% on Framebuffer id be happy )
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Without X, your options are really limited. I think you should try elinks, but I don't think it supports flash.

I know that I am kinda screwed without X.
    But I heard there is a way to play Video over Framebuffer. (Still have to try)
    so I decided not to install X and save RAM/HDSpace for this box.
    I use GNU Screen as DE so =P

But Ill try elinks, thanks.
    Google first, then ask..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    I am looking for a decent webbrowser for my laptop.
    And here it the trick. My laptop doenst run X. Neither am I planning to do so.
    I know Links. But that doesnt support Images and Javascript and Flash and Java-Applets.
    Is there anyone out there that did take the time to implant that stuff?

If so, please let me know.

Thansk
    Robin

(ps. If I could make FireFox run 100% on Framebuffer id be happy )
    Well. It's not impossible, but don't expect anything that high-level like firefox.

As far as I know:

-You can use links -g, it can display graphics on framebuffer without a problem. It works with directfb and svgalib (I personally recommend directfb, since svglib required an additional kernel module to be loaded, to do exactly the same stuff).

-The support for javascript is limited, but it's not completely inexistent.

-Java support is zero for all console based browsers, including text ones and links -g.

-Flash support is zero as well. However, you can partially work around this by using mplayer to play flash videos (only flv, swf is not supported by mplayer).

There's been some work on making gtk work under framebuffer without X. I don't remember the name of the project though, and I don't konw how it works (but I remember seeing the gimp working over it). Qtopía is a similar project based on qt, though I doubt that will help you with firefox :P

The Xorg server is not that big, once you remove the sources. And if you really want to run firefox, the ram usage of X is the least of your concerns, because firefox can take many hundreds of megabytes itself making the X memory footprint ridiculous in comparison.

yea I know firefox is a Huge fox alright.
    Well I dont care to much about java or flash. But javascript is a nessercery.

I just dont want to run x. =P Else I would run X on ION or something but I just dont want x.
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Guru
    Well, then you'll have to choose.

links -g can display graphics but it's javascript support is very incomplete, and useless for most purposes.

I think elinks is better in that regard (and in many more things), but it doesn't display graphics as far as I know. I think it uses the Mozilla's SpiderMonkey Javascript engine.

Linux Engineer
    elinks is better for many things, it has better js support, tabs, colors, and various features that are nice. It's only text mode, however. Links, as already mentioned, has graphic support on the framebuffer. Probably your best bet is just to switch back and forth between those. What is wrong with running X I am wondering?

Valan, Nothing is wrong with Xorg.
    But, I want to run everything in Console.
    But I am thinking now to install ION with X.
    Since I notice I miss my Wireshark, VLC, Conky and Firefox...

thanks all anyhow
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Engineer
    w3m supports graphics and can be compiled with javascript support. it displays graphics correctly on my emacs; however, I'm going to recompile in javascript support and see if I can't get it working, x really chokes down my old laptop (128M!).
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    What you can do is run X, give it a few virtual desktops that you switch with Ctrl+Alt+Fkeys and Alt+Arrows, run a maximized terminal on each desktop with no window decorations, and it's just like a high res console you can run X apps on.