Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I've tried to get firefox to start full screen. I've had a look at localstore.rdf, logged out saving settings with F11 on the browser, tried autohide-1.1.9, fullscreen-2 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firefox - start with full screen

Hi All,

I've tried to get firefox to start full screen. I've had a look at localstore.rdf, logged out saving settings with F11 on the browser, tried autohide-1.1.9, fullscreen-2 and R-kiosk-0.5.3. all these switch the browser into full screen immediately AFTER starting. How do I get rid of the switch and just start full screen?

system is 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 (Werewolf).

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dynad View Post
    Hi All,

I've tried to get firefox to start full screen. I've had a look at localstore.rdf, logged out saving settings with F11 on the browser, tried autohide-1.1.9, fullscreen-2 and R-kiosk-0.5.3. all these switch the browser into full screen immediately AFTER starting. How do I get rid of the switch and just start full screen?

system is 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 (Werewolf).
    I would look into your window manager. Most wm's can remember settings like this. You could set the firefox window to be started maximized and without title or borders if you want. And even control the layer where it will reside.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I've had a look through the what I believe to be the wm settings.... gconf right?
    Still no luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dynad View Post
    Thanks. I've had a look through the what I believe to be the wm settings.... gconf right?
    Still no luck
    Gconf as I understand it is some kind configuration editor for gnome. But it's not related to the wm as far as I know.

The gnome window manager is metacity, and it's waaaay too simple. Metacity can't do anything else besides moving, maximizing, minimizing and closing windows. That's as far as I know. Maybe the thing has changed (I don't really know).

Kwin (the kde wm) can do that. And others standalone wm's, like fluxbox can also do that.

I don't know if there's any other specific way to accomplish this in gnome. But, as last resort, you can always use an alternative window manager within (like fluxbox) within gnome.

Maybe a gnome user around has a better idea.

Linux Guru
    Today I found this while searching for a completely different thing:

Remember window settings in metacity - Ubuntu Forums

That reminded me of this thread.

It's seems like devilspie might be able to do what you need. But, sincerely, I would just drop metacity if you need a smart wm. I don't like the idea of adding one more piece just to match windows and move them around when EVERY wm under the sun, but metacity, can do it.