Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to use BIOS services in Linux. Since accessing bios services from Linux is not at all possible. So I have downloaded LRMI-0.10. In that they have used int ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help in Linux real mode interface

I want to use BIOS services in Linux. Since accessing bios services from Linux is not at all possible. So I have downloaded LRMI-0.10. In that they have used int 10h. For me also it is running successfully. my question is can i make use of anyother interrupts like int 10h because where ever i searched in google LRMI is coming along with int 10h. Can anyone help me. I think this is the right place to post this thread (already posted in Linux Newbie.Can moderator pleae lock the newbie thread which already posted reg this)
    Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by East View Post
    I want to use BIOS services in Linux. Since accessing bios services from Linux is not at all possible. So I have downloaded LRMI-0.10. In that they have used int 10h. For me also it is running successfully. my question is can i make use of anyother interrupts like int 10h because where ever i searched in google LRMI is coming along with int 10h. Can anyone help me. I think this is the right place to post this thread (already posted in Linux Newbie.Can moderator pleae lock the newbie thread which already posted reg this)
    Thanks in advance.
    May I ask what the purpose is?

There's *almost* absolutely no reason to do that. And there's a reason why the kernel doesn't allow direct access to the hardware from userland. If you are trying to do some tests it's ok. If you are using some weird DOS asm stuff, you should use dosbox and run your assembler there.

There are many ways to set the graphic mode under linux. If you absolutely need access to your hardware, you should consider writing a kernel module. That's the only way on linux.

Linux doesn't allow a true real mode, you can stop searching (yes, I saw you posted this in a few more forums). At most, you can emulate it on a vm like dosbox. The kernel would need a complete rewrite for that. It operates fully on protected mode. That's why, on first place, linux can't run on anything below i386.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply!!
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    May I ask what the purpose is?
    For my project i want to use BIOS interrupt services from Linux applications.

From google search came to know that it's not at all possible. But anyhow i want to use BIOS services from linux. Now i am trying LRMI with different interrupts. Here the problem is filling up the LRMI registers with proper values.Is there any documents or link to use LRMI with BIOS interrupts.

If not able to work with LRMI, can u please help me writing driver module.

Thanks in advance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by East View Post
    Thanks for the reply!!

For my project i want to use BIOS interrupt services from Linux applications.
    Yep. But is that for any specific purpose? I mean: are you being asked *specifically* to set the video mode using int 10h? There's really no point in using BIOS calls in linux.

If it's some kind of assembly subject, then you can always use any other OS, or dosbox. Unless they are asking exactly to "use BIOS calls under Linux" (and I can't think why a teacher would be that idiot, because you will never use such a thing in real life and it's not even possible.

I used lots of assembly, but in my DOS times. It's been long since that.

From google search came to know that it's not at all possible. But anyhow i want to use BIOS services from linux. Now i am trying LRMI with different interrupts. Here the problem is filling up the LRMI registers with proper values.Is there any documents or link to use LRMI with BIOS interrupts.
    I'd personally go with lrmi, the problem is the the documentation is a bit hard to find. To tell the truth, I haven't ever felt the need to do such a thing. So I don't really know much about lrmi. But they are basically userland libraries that emulate BIOS calls in some way or another. I don't know the details. But, as you already know, *real* BIOS calls are impossible.

If not able to work with LRMI, can u please help me writing driver module.
    You would still need to write your own ints anyway, so even if you take that approach, maybe looking into lrmi can inspire you.

That is, unless you really want to allow real BIOS calls in your kernel. In which case, I suspect that you will have to heavily patch the whole kernel. I doubt that's doable by a novel kernel programmer becuase the kernel itself has not been designed to allow that.

I am not a kernel gurú, and I am not much into kernel programming (just for didactical purposes and some patching and hacking, but nothing serious like this), so I might be wrong on that.

Maybe you would like to start a new kernel about this approach on the kernel subforum. You have a better chance to get something useful there