Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for a desktop app that will let me open up and automatically have pidgin open and located in the upper right hand corner of the screen, have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop software

I am looking for a desktop app that will let me open up and automatically have pidgin open and located in the upper right hand corner of the screen, have a notepad app opened and positioned on the lower right hand corner, have firefox opened on the left hand half of the screen, etc. Can someone tell me if some software will do this?

Linux Engineer
    There is a program called devilspie that does exactly this. You tell it which programs to automatically load and the x,y geometry of where you want them to load.

Many times it is used in conjunction with Conky.

You'll find more than enough walkthroughs about how to set up either quite easily.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus View Post
    There is a program called devilspie that does exactly this. You tell it which programs to automatically load and the x,y geometry of where you want them to load.

Many times it is used in conjunction with Conky.

You'll find more than enough walkthroughs about how to set up either quite easily.
    99% of the window managers can do that without any problem. Delvilspie is a complement to fill the functionality gaps of metacity, the gnome window manager. If you don't use gnome, then devilspie is mostly useless.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    99% of the window managers can do that without any problem. Delvilspie is a complement to fill the functionality gaps of metacity, the gnome window manager. If you don't use gnome, then devilspie is mostly useless.
    Not at all, even if the functionality is built into the wms, devilspie is incredibly easy to setup and its config can be copied from wm to wm. It is a great complement to e, flux, gnome, icewm and even ratpoison.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus View Post
    Not at all, even if the functionality is built into the wms, devilspie is incredibly easy to setup and its config can be copied from wm to wm. It is a great complement to e, flux, gnome, icewm and even ratpoison.
    Sorry, I can't agree. I refuse to install yet another piece of software to do something that my wm can do natively. I see your point about portability, though, I suppose that the important factor is how much you value that portability. For me it's not important, since anyway different wm's are supposed to act differently (otherwise there's no point in using many, if you are always going to mimic the same stuff).

Anyway, this is going offtopic and that won't help the original poster. He now knows the options, let him decide.