Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi i am getting this error whenever i try to install a new add-on on firefox 2: what steps should i take to fix this error?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firefox 2 hardy heron addon error

hi i am getting this error whenever i try to install a new add-on on firefox 2:

what steps should i take to fix this error?

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure that it will work but you could try going to the author's website to see if there is another version that might work. Look for his/her website on the Mozilla page where you found the extension.
    oz

i had a problem like this recently, it wouldn't install an addon, what I did was download the extension to my folder and then i did this
    Code:
    firefox /path/to/extension.xpi
    it opened it in firefox and began to install it, don't know why it didn't work from the web but it did this way

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    i had a problem like this recently, it wouldn't install an addon, what I did was download the extension to my folder and then i did this
    Code:
    firefox /path/to/extension.xpi
    it opened it in firefox and began to install it, don't know why it didn't work from the web but it did this way
    hmm i am still getting the same error as before. is there a way i can manually install it by putting the file into a folder or something?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Not sure that it will work but you could try going to the author's website to see if there is another version that might work. Look for his/her website on the Mozilla page where you found the extension.
    this happens with every addon i try...

Just Joined!
    I have exactly the same problem. Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jordilandon View Post
    I have exactly the same problem. Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version ?
    i use a 32 bit version. does that really have any effect on the addons?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlikessweets View Post
    i use a 32 bit version. does that really have any effect on the addons?
    Now I definitely don't think so because I'm getting the same problem on the 64 bit !

Linux Guru
    xpi files are just zip files. So, download the plugin with wget or a similar tool. Then, unzip it into a temporary folder.

If my memory serves correctly, there will be a file called "install.rdf". Open it into a text editor. In this file you can find the max and min versions of firefox that the plugin supports.

You can just edit these numbers to allow the plugin to install on your version of firefox. Then, zip back the all the stuff into the xpi file, and open the modified xpi with firefox.

That should allow the plugin to install. Whether it will run correctly or not depends ultimately in the plugin itself, and the version of firefox.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    xpi files are just zip files. So, download the plugin with wget or a similar tool. Then, unzip it into a temporary folder.

If my memory serves correctly, there will be a file called "install.rdf". Open it into a text editor. In this file you can find the max and min versions of firefox that the plugin supports.

You can just edit these numbers to allow the plugin to install on your version of firefox. Then, zip back the all the stuff into the xpi file, and open the modified xpi with firefox.

That should allow the plugin to install. Whether it will run correctly or not depends ultimately in the plugin itself, and the version of firefox.
    i was already sure because i have read on the publisher's website and it said my version would support it. also i checked it your way and still found my version did support it. i am thinking this is something different than "you have the wrong version"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast