Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, If you haven't guessed by the subject line, I'm a newbie. I read something somewhere that mention you could have your background appear as if it is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't get the fishtank thingy to work...

Hello all,
    If you haven't guessed by the subject line, I'm a newbie. I read something somewhere that mention you could have your background appear as if it is a fish tank. I found the command line "xfishtank - start", but when I try it the screen flashes for a split second, and then nothin. It doesn't seem to work, can someone guide me on this toy?

Thanks,
    FloppyRat

Linux Enthusiast
    hmm, that's cool, i hadn't heard of that before - although i found one for windass that is really nice that i cracked.

what distro are you using and did you install the program or did it come with it?

one thing you might wanna look into is your res to see if it is good enough to support high colors that a fishtank like that would need.

Linux Enthusiast
    ok, here is what i found out...

1 - I found the fishtank screensaver rpm - but I had to get the one for rh 6.2 since they don't seem to have a newer one.

2 - I installed the rpm - and the executable file goes into /usr/bin/X11 so you can go there and double click it to run it or create a desktop icon and put that path for the executable.

3 - So I started the screensaver - and this is what I found:
    - it runs very slow (yes I have my Nvidia drivers installed)
    - it is kind of plain - has a pale lime green background
    - it doesn't seem to want to stop either, lol - I had to open a terminal and type: killall xfishtank to get it to stop.

4 - I am not sure how I would get this into the selection of screensavers that you can choose from on your desktop (right click and configure desktop and then screensaver for me) and I don't think I would want it anyway since it is so slow.

I hope that info helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yowwww,
    I can't help but laugh a little, oh, it sounds like it might not be worth the trouble. However, I really appreciate you finding that information out for me. I will give it a shot, and see what happens. I'm currently running Mandrake 9.0, but as I said, i'm learning and may change distro's a little later.

Thanks!
    FloppyRat

Linux Enthusiast
    np, if you're switching from mdk, you might wanna look at red hat (7.3 is my fave) and suse is good too (but less support for suse compared to rh)

good luck.