Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an 80GB iPod Classic and have successfully installed libgpod 0.6.0. I have compiled and installed Amarok 1.4.9.1. I have gotten Amarok to recognize the iPod and able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iPod and Amarok

I have an 80GB iPod Classic and have successfully installed libgpod 0.6.0. I have compiled and installed Amarok 1.4.9.1. I have gotten Amarok to recognize the iPod and able to see the music on it.

However, now when I disconnect my iPod from my computer, it no longer is able to play any music on it. It says that there is no music, but I know it is still there, because Amarok can see it, and the iPod only has 44GB free. Also, if I try to sync to the iPod, I get this error:

"Your iPod's Firewire GUID is required for correctly updating its music database, but it is not known. See Media Device:IPod - Amarok Wiki for more information." I used this command to set my FWID:

sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial

I have set the Firewire GUID in the SysInfo file on the iPod, so I do not understand why I am getting this error. Also, whenever I tell Amarok to disconnect my iPod, it gives this error:

"Media device: failed to write iPod database"

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Edit: I am also working in Slackware 12.0 with the default 2.6.21.5 kernel.

Just Joined!
    I'm wondering if it's not a user ownership issue...like the iPod may not recognize someone without the right octal values (ownership) before it copies the files back and forth...happens with USB devices for me.

The other thing I'm wondering is if there isn't a software proprietary issue. These happens with devices such as Zune and iPod. If the iPod is looking for some kind of software confirmation before it allows the playing or uploading of music, such as when you use iTunes, then this could get interesting.

Could you maybe post the BASH session of when you try to put music in the iPod or screenies? It could help a lot.

Just Joined!
    All the research I have done online suggests that it has to do with the FWID which is a 16-digit identifier for the iPod. Supposedly, this is what is keeping my iPod from being able to update its database. The thing is, I follow the directions on how to get the FWID from the iPod itself, and the number I get comes up invalid whenever I enter it into the program. I will have to wait to get screenshots of this until tonight, but I will get them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've the same problem and didn't find any solution up to now. So, if you were successful in the meantime, please let me know.