Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I collect antiques for an hobby, and would like to organize my collection with the help of a little database. I took a look at openoffice's base, but that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for a software that helps me organize my antiques collection!

Hi,

I collect antiques for an hobby, and would like to organize my collection with the help of a little database. I took a look at openoffice's base, but that is way to complicated with too much options for me. What I would require is something simple, where I could create a little page for each item with it's relevant data (e.g. age, country of origin etc.) and a picture in it. There are some free and sharware programs that look quite promising for windows, but I would rather use a linux alternative, for I am phasing out windows as much as possible.

Any recommendations are very welcome!

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I can't recommend any specific options, but you can look at these two sites for some options:

Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux. (Official site of the table)

If you find an app that you might be interested in, look for in the repos for your distribution.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    For these kind of tasks, I usually recommend to create a small template using mysql as the database backend. Then, a web frontend to it using php or something similar.

In the long term, it's the most simple solution, and you don't have to worry about platforms, because you will be able to access your database regardless of the OS you are using.

It's the smart and natural choice for this kind of tasks.

If you really want one of those tiny programs like the lots of shareware products that there are for very specific purposes, then you might have luck running one of these under wine, they are usually simple enough and will work without any problem.

If you want to try a web based solution, you might not have to design your own. I usually visit hotscripts.com before doing anything, because most times I will find something suitable there, for example:

Hot Scripts :: Search Results for "antiques" (Page 1)

Those are the results I get if I write "antiques" on the search box. Only 2, I don't know if they will be of any use for your concrete task.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close