Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all i am having a problem with playing wmv files with totem mplayer. when trying to to play it. it gives the following error : The playback of this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mkj
    Just Joined!

I cant play wmv files with totem mplayer

hi all i am having a problem with playing wmv files with totem mplayer. when trying to to play it. it gives the following error :
    The playback of this movie requires the following decoders which are not installed:

Windows Media Video 9 decoder
    Windows Media Audio 8 decoder

so how i can save this problem. an from where i can find these decoders how to install them .

Linux Guru
    Recent versions of mplayer should handle wmv9 without a problem. What version of mplayer are you using?

mkj
    Just Joined!
    i am using the version 2.20.1

Linux Guru
    You posted the version for Totem. I mean the version for mplayer. Mplayer is not yet in 1.x (still in rc2).

Since the early rc1's, I think, it should have no problem to play wmv9.

Another question is: are you sure that totem is using mplayer and not xine or gstreamer (or anything else) as a backend? I don't know how to check it because I haven't used totem for ages.

EDITED: I re-read your fist post and now I am not sure if you were speaking about "mplayer" (the program) or if that was an abbreviation for "media player" in a general sense. I don't even know if totem can handle mplayer as it's engine.

mkj
    Just Joined!
    maybe u r rit i am relatively new to linux
    okay then forget about totem and tell me from where i can install mplayer thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mkj View Post
    maybe u r rit i am relatively new to linux
    okay then forget about totem and tell me from where i can install mplayer thanks in advance
    Well, it depends on the distribution that you are using. You should be able to install it using the package manager for your distribution. Mplayer is a very common package.

There are also many frontends that you can use .Mplayer itself is a command line program, so, if you want something more graphical, like totem, you can install smplayer or kmplayer. There are many other players based on mplayer.

I think that vlc is also capable of playing such videos. So, you might also try to install that, and see which one do you like better