Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, Working on getting kismet to run on my laptop, its a Gateway MT3705. I'll start by saying that i had to use ndiswrapper to get the wireless to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kismet question

Hey guys, Working on getting kismet to run on my laptop, its a Gateway MT3705. I'll start by saying that i had to use ndiswrapper to get the wireless to work in ubuntu 8.04, but it is now working great. As for kismet i have installed it though the packet manager. From what i understand i must now go in and edit a few lines in the config file the documentation says to use this format
    source=type,interface,name[,channel]
    but my question is when i go in and do a ifconfig, on the wlan0 i dont get a name/type or brand of adapter. Anyone have any ideas on what i should use for this config line?
    TIA

hope this helps

This is they I found the type and name for my Asus WL-167G usb adapter, keep in mind that I forgot some of the steps.

Go to Kmenu > Radio Network Analysis > 80211 > Analyzer > Kismet

This should give you a different output, be fast when Kismet starts it will list the Interface, Chipset, and Driver.

My example
    Source=rt2500,rausb0,Ralink b/g

By the way are sure your adapter is capable of packet injection?

Just Joined!
    This is they I found the type and name for my Asus WL-167G usb adapter, keep in mind that I forgot some of the steps.

Go to Kmenu > Radio Network Analysis > 80211 > Analyzer > Kismet

This should give you a different output, be fast when Kismet starts it will list the Interface, Chipset, and Driver.

My example
    Source=rt2500,rausb0,Ralink b/g

By the way are sure your adapter is capable of packet injection?
    Thank you for the reply, however I am very confused by your post. I am using Ubuntu 8.04, and by the sounds of it your using some distro with KDE because to the best of my knowledge ubuntu 8.04 does not have a 'kmenu'. However if I am wrong please please let me know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    As far as I know, you can't make this work.

Windows doesn't support monitor mode so neither do most windows drivers. This means that ndiswrapper doesn't support monitor mode and so kismet will not be able to pick up any data with it.

Kismet documentation

Q: Will Kismet work with Linuxant or NDISwrapper drivers?
    A: No. These wrappers use the Windows drivers, which don't support rfmon.
    Until there are native drivers with rfmon support, Kismet won't work
    with these cards.
    If you can tell us what kind of network card is it, or post the output of "lspci -v", we might be able to help out with native drivers which might support monitor mode.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.