Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to park a utility (Glipper) in the startup directory so that it will load when Ubuntu starts up. There is nothing in the help system about where it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where is the startup directory in Hardy?

I need to park a utility (Glipper) in the startup directory so that it will load when Ubuntu starts up. There is nothing in the help system about where it is. Can anyone tell me?

If you are using Gnome desktop you can open System > Preference > Sessions and add it to your startup programs. If you are using KDE I believe it is .kde/Autostart (at least it used to be).

I think a more general way in more modern desktops is to add a launcher icon (desktop file) to ~/.config/autostart/ where ~ represents your home directory. As far as I know this is independent of the desktop environment you are using.

Just Joined!

Where is the Startup Directory in Hardy?

I learned from a posting in Ubuntu Forums that Glipper is one of those utilities that operates from the panel at the top of the screen. You put it there by right-clicking on the panel and choosing Clipboard Manager among the many goodies to add. It works.

Ah right it was a panel applet

Glad you got it sorted out

Just Joined!
    Is this the directory you're looking for?
    There's also a startup directory, as in Windows and KDE:
    Customize Ubuntu / Gnome LiveCD - startup, autostart directory | Jon Ramvi . com