Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Yesterday I burned a dvd using cdrecorder in mutilsession mode. The dvd has a .avi file which I could play with mplayer. But when I inserted the dvd in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dvd burned with cdrecorder not recognisaed in xp

Hi,

Yesterday I burned a dvd using cdrecorder in mutilsession mode. The dvd has a .avi file which I could play with mplayer. But when I inserted the dvd in xp, it didn't recognize, showing 0 byte used, as if its a blank dvd.

Is this a common problem or I did something wrong?
    Imran
    Linux User #467555 | Debian Squeeze | Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 4500 @ 2.20GHz | Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L
    | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB SATA | Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

You mean you used 'cdrecord'??

Well, it depends on how you burned it. I'm not really sure on all the ways you can mess up your usage of cdrecord, but one of the little jokes I have found on my box is in the man page of cdrecord under the bugs section:
    Code:
    BUGS:
    Cdrecord has even more options than ls.
    So without knowing _how_ you burned the file it's a bit difficult to establish where you went wrong. But my bet is that you didn't use 'mkisofs' first so that your .avi would be burned in a format that Redmond can recognize.

Just build a .iso from your file(s) and burn that as an image. In it's most basic format, using all the defaults, just:
    Code:
    mkisofs -o name.iso movie.avi
    Should get you a long way.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI