Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I am using RHEL 4 at my work place and would like to use FIREFOX RC1 that came out, couple of days back. I promptly went to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Firefox 3 on RHEL 4

Hi there,
    I am using RHEL 4 at my work place and would like to use FIREFOX RC1 that came out, couple of days back.

I promptly went to the Mozilla website and downloaded the binary, bunzip2'd and tar -xvf'd.

When I try to say :
    $>./firefox/firefox, I get:
    $>./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a way I can get/install libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 in my $home directory without messing too much with my linux administrator ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
    Sampath.

FYI: my system is : Linux kernel version: 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP x86_64

Just Joined!

Firefox 3 not working on RHEL 4.0

Facing the same problem. I guess it has something to do with KDE? I think it should work on GNOME. Will try and update.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by narkissose View Post
    Facing the same problem. I guess it has something to do with KDE? I think it should work on GNOME. Will try and update.
    I don't think its the problem either with KDE or GNOME. I am using Windowmaker here and I still have the problem. The problem I guess, is with the libpangocairo libraries. Firefox 3 is using some latest libraries which our local sysadmins should update. I wonder whether there is a work around. If you discover/come across something, please post here.

Thanks a lot,
    Cheers.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The solution is simple to explain but maybe not that simple to solve: you don't have the libs it asks for, hence, you need to install them.

So, you either:

1.- you look for rmps containing those libs and install them in the adequate place
    2.- you compile them yourself using ./configure --prefix=$HOME and install them in your home. If firefox-bin complains about anything, you might need to download its sources and compile them specifying as the path for the relevant libs your home though the relevant configure options.

But, in any case (and this is just my humble opinion) if you want to use bleeding edge software, RHEL4 is not a good option (you might have no other choice, though...).