Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have SuSE Linux 7.0 Personal. I downloaded AOL IM and Y! IM, but do not know how to install them. Any help would be appreciated....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Y! and AOL IM in Linux

I have SuSE Linux 7.0 Personal. I downloaded AOL IM and Y! IM, but do not know how to install them. Any help would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    I didnt even know there was a linux version of AIM and Yahoo instant messenger? Maybe im behind the times a little?

How about an alternative?
    Gaim is pretty good - http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Jason

Just Joined!
    How do you install GAIM on Linux?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    See belew from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q10 there's more faq's there as well.

Q. How do I use MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC, Gadu-Gadu(GG), Napster, or Zephyr?

A. In Gaim 0.60 and higher, use the Account Editor (Tools->Accounts, or the Accounts button on the start screen) to add the account. The appropriate protocol plugin is loaded automatically.
    In Gaim 0.59 and lower, you must first load the protocol plugin for the protocol that you want to use. These plugins come with Gaim, so just go to the Plugins dialog (Tools->Plugins, or the Plugins button on the start screen). The list of plugins on this screen is a listing of plugins you have already loaded and does not included unloaded but available plugins. To load a new plugin, click "Load." The protocol plugins are named libprotocol.so, so MSN for instance is provided by libmsn.so, and Gadu-Gadu is provided by libgg.so. Now you can use the Account Editor to add an account with the desired protocol.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I have tried to install GAIM, but I get an error message saying I can not execute the file. Please help. I am new to Linux.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Have you tried to download it again incase the setup file(s) is corrupted?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I don't believe the file is corrupted.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Are you logged in as root or su - over then tried to install?
    Dan

Just Joined!
    GAIM should come with ur LInux distro by default, if it isnt working it could be corrupted.
    I have just finished installing and configuring the messengers i used on my WinXp , and now have Alvero's MSN, Yahoo MSN and GAIM What kind of files are you trying to install on ur linux distro? ie Tarrballs - *tar.gz *RPM?

GAIM is great...specially the 0.62 release, but you might wanna look into this as well: http://konst.org.ua/eng/software/centericq/info.html. It's like command line Trillian, but not as difficult to use as you might think.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast