Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello friends,is there any utility that can convert dwg and dgn files to one another?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cad file conversion utility?

Hello friends,is there any utility that can convert dwg and dgn files to one another?

Welcome to the forums

A quick google reveals a few people providing a conversion sevice which implies any conversion is not 100%. This thread on the Autodesk forums may help. I have not had call to use this type of facility, and if you have Microstation and Autocad it sounds as though import/export is possible without additional tools. That means there is not necessarily that big a market for someone to develop a solution for.

Just Joined!
    thank you for replying and for welcoming me of course.

I see its just that when i'm on the road and someone might give me an incompatible version of cad application i might need a way to convert it on the fly,so i need a solution for this kind of thing.

I tried launcing a small exe file from within wine,and although it launched i got some directory errors when it got to converting these bad boyz.I mght have to search for additional windoes tools and emulate them in linux to see if something interesting happens.

Thanx for the support.

Do you have something that works in Windows and is it free?

Just Joined!
    Yes i do,its a small exe hat does all the concersions but i think it requires frameworks.

Anyway its called EveryDWG.

I've just downloaded it from here ... installed it using Wine and used it to produce an Autocad DXF file from an Autocad DWG ... used default settings for Wine with no issues. It only looks to do DWG and DXF as selected output formats though ... actually thats the description on the website as well.
    Do you have a link to the one that does dwg to dgn?

Just Joined!
    I'd have to search for that,but there's also support for dgn viewing from the autodesk design reviewe which is free,but i doubt it will run under wine.

Will do some search tomorrow,cause and report back for the dgn converter.

Just Joined!
    I thought that it did DGN as well but apparently it does not,so i'll have to keep looking for the other converters i have stored on my computer somewhere.

You mean you used it for conversion with success?Cause it boots for me as well,but when i select a folder with a file and then the output folder and select to convert i have an error concerning directories.

Well at least that's what happens to me on my xandros distro.

Have you had a chance to test the Autodesk Design Review?

The original conversion program (EveryDWG) I tested and it works. I extracted the exe file to my desktop and ran it, I setup input folder to C:\windows\temp and output folder to C:\windows\temp1 these are in the fake windows directory setup by Wine. I think the first time I did this it produced an error about directories not existing, then I copied a dwg to the temp folder and ran the program again & it produced the converted file in temp1.

I think you should try running it again on your setup.

I have not had chance to look at the other program ... I'm downloading it at the moment.

Just Joined!
    yws something like that is therro i get as well.So for some reason, i need to copy a dwg on the output folder as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast